What is Benny Andersson’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$230 Million|
|Born:||December 16, 1946|
|Height:||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Country of Origin:||Sweden|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Musician|
|Last Updated:||August 2, 2022|
Benny Andersson is a Swedish pop singer and composer best known for his work with the internationally famous group ABBA.
In addition to his work with ABBA, Andersson is known for several hit albums with his band, Benny Anderssons Orkester, as well as scoring the soundtrack to several movies.
As of February 2023, Benny Andersson’s net worth is estimated to be $230 Million.
Benny Andersson Facts
- While Andersson rarely sang the lead vocals for Abbas’s songs, he did take the lead on their hit single, Does Your Mother Know.
- Despite being a huge success and releasing many hit songs, ABBA never won a Grammy Award and were only nominated once for I Still Have Faith in You.
- Andersson is well known for his work on the musical Mamma Mia, but he actually wrote two other musicals called Chess, Kristina från Duvemåla.
- In 2010, he reunited with Anni-Frid Lyngstad to accept ABBA’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- In 2013, Andersson returned to the root of his early success, Andersson, composing the anthem for the Eurovision Song Contest along with Ulvaeus and the Swedish DJ and record producer Avicii.
Göran Bror Benny Andersson was born on December 16th, 1946, in Stockholm, Sweden, picking up the accordion from his father at a young age.
Trained in Swedish folk music, schlager, and traditional music, Andersson was also influenced by Elvis Presley, buying the album Jailhouse Rock.
At the age of 10, Benny Andersson had his own piano, and by the time he was 15, he’d left school so he could focus entirely on his music career.
In 1964, Benny Andersson joined the band the Hep Stars, whom he credits to this day on his official Instagram account, playing keyboard and enjoying their first hit with the 1965 single, Cadillac.
As the band’s popularity grew, he met Björn Ulvaeus in 1966, writing songs together before teaming up with singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad.
In 1972, they formed the band ABBA, appearing at the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest alongside Cher and singing their hit song, Waterloo.
Many hit singles soon followed, including Dancing Queen, Knowing Me, Knowing You, and Fernando, with the band breaking up in the 1980s after the collapse of Andersson and Ulvaeus’s marriages.
Benny Andersson’s Career Earnings
As one of the richest rockstars in the world, Benny Andersson has enjoyed a lucrative career both from the sales of ABBA’s original albums and their hugely successful compilation albums.
Here’s an estimated overview of Benny Andersson’s career earnings:
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1975 – $8.8 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1976 – $9.5 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1977 – $2.7 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1980 – $3.5 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1981 – $1.6 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1982 – $715,000
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1983 – $130,000
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1988 – $130,000
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1992 – $28 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 1999 – $1.1 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 2001 – $2.4 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 2008 – $7.7 million
- Benny Andersson’s Salary In 2022 – $10 million
Benny Andersson’s Net Worth Annually
Benny Andersson’s huge success with ABBA has made him one of the richest singers in the world, with his net worth growing exponentially throughout the 1970s.
ABBA’s international tours consistently sold out, further adding to Andersson’s net worth and making him a multi-millionaire.
After the break up of the group, Andersson continued to earn large sums of money through the release of best-selling compilation albums.
In addition to his income from record sales royalties, Andersson has enjoyed a successful career as a composer, further increasing his net worth over time.
In the early 1960s, Andersson was engaged to Christina Grönvall, with whom he has a son Peter and a daughter Helene.
The couple split in 1966, and in 1969 he began a relationship with his fellow band member Anni-Frid Lyngstad.
Andersson and Lyngstad married in 1978, remaining together until 1981, when their divorce led in part to the break up of ABBA.
Awards & Achievements
Through his work with ABBA and as a solo performer and composer, Benny Andersson has been nominated for many high-profile music industry awards over the years.
Here are some highlights from Benny Andersson’s career:
- 1974: ABBA wins the Eurovision Song Contest for Waterloo, which they wrote specifically for the contest.
- 1974: The band ABBA wins the Silver Award for Pop Group at the Bravo Otto Awards, winning the award again for eight consecutive years.
- 1977: Their hit song Dancing Queen is awarded the Best Vocal Record for Dancing award at the Carl-Alan Awards.
- 1978: At the Carl-Alan Awards, the song Take A Chance On Me wins the award for Best Vocal Record for Dancing
- 2012: Benny Andersson receives an honorary Doctorate of Philosophy from the Luleå Tekniska Universitet Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
How Does Benny Andersson Spend His Money?
With his impressive net worth and ongoing career as a composer and music producer, Benny Andersson has plenty of disposable income to play with.
He’s known for his impressive car collection that includes some of the most expensive cars in the world, including a Maserati Merak SS Coupe, in which he is reported to have recorded some hit song ideas.
He also owns a mansion in Stockholm, Sweden, called Villa Lido, as well as a farm on Hölö in the Stockholm archipelago.
With a career spanning decades and featuring a string of international best-selling singles and albums, Benny Andersson has enjoyed plenty of high points.
Here are some of the best highlights of Benny Andersson’s career:
- 1964: Andersson begins his career in the music industry with the group Hep Stars, becoming one of the most-loved Swedish pop groups of the era.
- 1966: He begins his creative partnership with Björn Ulvaeus, writing a range of songs for several bands.
- 1972: The group ABBA is formed, beginning a hugely successful run of hit singles and albums that would make them internationally famous.
- 2000: Benny Andersson composed the soundtrack to Songs from the Second Floor, which is a critically acclaimed success.
- 2001: Andersson sets up his band, Benny Anderssons Orkester, releasing five hugely successful albums over the following years.
Favorite Benny Andersson Quotes
A prolific composer both for the band ABBA and, later in life, for several critically acclaimed movies, Benny Andersson is a consummate professional with plenty of insights into the music industry.
Here are our favorite quotes from Benny Andersson:
- “It’s so humbling and I’m grateful but I cannot say I understand quite how that happened. It’s kind of a miracle, never in our wildest dreams did we think that these songs that we wrote would last for such a long time.” – Benny Andersson
- “We were kind of protective of the first one because we were very proud of it, it was very good and it became kind of a cult movie … and we thought what’s the point of risking … taking away from that legacy, so we were reluctant.” – Benny Andersson
- “The situation in America is when it starts moving there, all the bands from England move over to America and work from there, so that they’re available all the time for everyone that wants them in person.” – Benny Andersson
- “What you make up in your heads sticks if it’s good, falls out if it’s bad. If we still remember something a day after we made it up, it might be worth building on.” – Benny Andersson
- “We simply write the kind of music we enjoy most and hope that our audience will enjoy it too.” – Benny Andersson
3 Amazing Lessons From Benny Andersson
Now that you know all about Benny Andersson’s net worth, let’s see what lessons we can learn from his prolific music career.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Benny Andersson:
1. Practice Hard If You Want To Become Great At Something
Benny Andersson’s huge success didn’t come without a lot of hard work, with the musician learning to master his instruments from an early age.
2. Find Inspiration Wherever You Can
While most pop and rock musicians do their composing in a studio, Andersson wasn’t afraid to take inspiration on the fly.
Several of ABBA’s hit songs were composed not in the studio, but in his Maserati sports car.
3. Don’t Be Afraid To Venture Into New Creative Territories
Benny Andersson earned his fame and fortune writing and producing hit pop music, but he wasn’t afraid to try out new things.
His work on movie soundtracks created much different musical styles, but proved to be just as popular with a different audience.
That concludes this complete guide to Benny Andersson’s net worth, exploring his career highlights and work in the film industry.
While best known as one of the founding members of the pop group ABBA, Andersson has enjoyed continued success with his band and film compositions.
We’ll update this article in the future to make sure it includes the most accurate figures, so be sure to check back for the details.
As of February 2023, Benny Andersson’s net worth is estimated to be $230 Million.