What is Ish Smith’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$28.5 Million|
|Born:||July 5, 1988|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional NBA Player|
|Last Updated:||November 29, 2022|
Ish Smith is an American professional basketball player who is currently a point guard for the NBA’s Denver Nuggets.
Smith wasn’t selected at the 2010 NBA Draft after attending Wake Forest University for four seasons, but signed with the Houston Rockets.
As of February 2023, Ish Smith’s net worth is estimated to be $28.5 Million.
Ish Smith Facts
- Born and raised in North Carolina, playing at Central Cabarrus High School in Concord, North Carolina prior to playing college basketball.
- Attended Wake Forest University from 2006 to 2010, playing four seasons with the Demon Deacons.
- Smith was not selected in the 2010 NBA Draft and signed as a free agent with the Houston Rockets.
- Made his NBA debut on October 26, 2010 against the Los Angeles Lakers and recorded one assist in five minutes.
- Currently plays for the Denver Nuggets, his league-record 13th NBA franchise.
Ishmael Larry Smith was born July 5, 1988 in Charlotte, North Carolina, and grew up in the state.
Smith attended high school in nearby Concord, North Carolina at Central Cabarrus High School and was one of the top 30 point guards in the United States.
While in high school, Smith received scholarship offers from colleges including Clemson and Xavier, but ultimately stayed in-state to attend Wake Forest.
Smith spent all four of his NCAA seasons at Wake Forest and was named to the All-ACC Team in his senior year.
Smith went undrafted in 2010, but was able to sign with the Houston Rockets where he was assigned to the NBA Development League with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
During his rookie season, Smith was dealt to the Memphis Grizzlies, but was placed on waivers at the beginning of the 2011-12 NBA season.
Between the 2011-12 and 2015-16 NBA seasons, Smith played with nine different teams including the New Orleans Pelicans, Philadelphia 76ers, and Oklahoma City Thunder.
Smith signed with the Detroit Pistons prior to the 2016-17 season and remained with the team for three seasons, averaging 9.8 points per game over that time.
Since then, Smith has played for the Washington Wizards on two different occasions, as well as the Charlotte Hornets, before being traded to the Denver Nuggets.
Ish Smith’s Career Earnings
During the earlier parts of his career, Ish Smith was earning six figure salaries for years until he became a regular starter in the league.
His contract with the Detroit Pistons made it possible for Smith to make millions, and he’s been making seven figures ever since.
The figures of Ish Smith’s earnings are based on his publicly announced contracts, but are not guaranteed to be 100% accurate.
Here’s an estimated overview of Ish Smith’s career earnings:
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2013 – $985,000
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2014 – $915,243
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2015 – $1.1 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2016 – $6 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2017 – $6 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2018 – $6 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2019 – $6 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2020 – $6 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2021 – $4.5 Million
- Ish Smith’s Salary In 2022 – $4.7 Million
Following the 2022-23 season, Ish Smith will become an unrestricted free agent, allowing him to sign with any team that he wants.
Smith will be 35 years old during the 2023-24 NBA season, which means that if he were to play, the minimum he will earn with his experience is $2.7 million.
Ish Smith’s Net Worth Annually
Ish Smith struggled to add to his net worth during the first few years of his career thanks to making a minimal salary, but things turned around in 2016.
Smith signed a lengthy contract that paid him $6 million per year, and his net worth skyrocketed as a result.
The figures of Ish Smith’s net worth are estimated regarding his NBA salaries and endorsements and are not guaranteed to be 100% accurate.
Here’s a breakdown of Ish Smith’s annual net worth:
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2013 – $2 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2014 – $2.5 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2015 – $3.1 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2016 – $7 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2017 – $11 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2018 – $15 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2019 – $19 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2020 – $23 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2021 – $25.2 Million
- Ish Smith’s Net Worth In 2022 – $28.5 Million
The several years in a row in which Ish Smith earned $6 million per year helped him to increase his net worth tremendously in the late 2010s.
Now toward the end of his career, Smith has plenty of money in the bank, and can still earn a minimum of $2.7 million per year if continues his career.
Ish Smith is the son of Gwen and Larry Smith, and has two older sisters named Lativia Smith and Serleathea Smith, as well as a brother, Gerald Smith.
Smith is a devout Christian that has never been married, currently has no children, and is believed to be single.
With as many times as Smith has moved because of his career, it has been difficult for him to settle down in one location.
Awards & Achievements
Ish Smith was a highly decorated high school player and was named as the MECA-6 Conference Player of the Year.
As a result, Smith was one of the top 30 point guard prospects in high school and continued to rack up achievements at the college level.
Smith has bounced around the league, playing for 13 teams, earning himself some accolades along the way.
Here are some of the awards and achievements from Ish Smith’s career:
- Murray Greason Award and Team Assists Leader Award at Wake Forest.
- Named to the All-ACC Second-Team in 2010.
- Has played for more NBA franchises than any player in history (13).
- Made five NBA playoff appearances with five different teams between 2011 and 2021.
- Averaged a career-best 14.7 points per game as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers in 2015-16.
Throughout his career, Smith has shown that you don’t need to be the first overall draft pick to have a decorated NBA career.
Smith has yet to win an NBA championship but is hoping that his time with the Denver Nuggets will result in his first ring.
How Does Ish Smith Spend His Money?
Because he was traded around the league so much during his first few seasons and wasn’t earning a high salary, Ish Smith never looked at some of the most expensive houses in the world until he found a spot to call home.
It wasn’t until Smith landed with the Detroit Pistons that he purchased a home, though the terms of the purchase are unknown.
Just like houses, Smith doesn’t shop for the most expensive cars in the world since it can be a pain to move them from city to city.
Instead, Smith is focused on keeping his bank account growing like teammate Nikola Jokic as he gets closer to retirement and can finally settle down for good.
Ish Smith has been playing professionally for over a decade, and has several years of high school and college experience to go along with it.
Smith has been able to achieve a lot at every level of basketball, proving himself to be one of the more versatile players of the 21st century.
Here are some of the best highlights of Ish Smith’s career:
- Set a career high with 32 points against the Denver Nuggets on January 4, 2020.
- Attended Wake Forest University for four seasons and averaged 13.2 points, 6.0 assists, and 4.9 rebounds per game in his senior season.
- Was named a Second-team All-ACC member in 2010 during his senior season.
- Signed as an undrafted free agent with the Houston Rockets following the 2010 NBA Draft.
- Has played for an NBA-record 13 franchises during his professional career.
Smith is getting toward the end of his career, so most of the individual highlights have already been achieved, but there’s still one team achievement he wants.
Despite playing for 13 teams, Ish Smith has yet to win an NBA championship, which is the goal for every player that makes it into the league.
Favorite Ish Smith Quotes
Nobody has played for more NBA teams than Ish Smith, meaning that he’s been around the block enough to experience it all.
Smith is one of the more endearing and fun loving players in the NBA, and is always great for a soundbite for reporters.
Here are our favorite quotes from Ish Smith:
- ” You control what you can control.” – Ish Smith
- ” My character (has) kept me in the league, and that’s a tribute to my mom and dad.” – Ish Smith
- ” The more you play, the more you get the feel of when you should go, when you should pull back.” – Ish Smith
- ” You just go out there and give it your all, and you start realizing it’s starting to happen before your eyes.” – Ish Smith
- ” I’m like Ricky Bobby. I just want to go fast.” – Ish Smith
3 Amazing Lessons From Ish Smith
Ish Smith is the ultimate example of someone that’s willing to take on any challenge no matter when and where it is.
With more than a dozen teams under his belt, Smith is one of the most seasoned basketball players in NBA history.
Now that you know all about Ish Smith’s net worth, there is plenty to be learned from the record-holder for most teams played with.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Ish Smith:
1. Go With The Flow
Most of us want an opportunity to settle down in one spot with a job that we love, but that can be hard in professional sports.
Nobody knows that more than Ish Smith, who has been traded, released, and signed by more teams than most people could even fathom.
Instead of griping about how many teams he’s played for, Smith sees it as a new opportunity every time he joins a new squad.
2. Character Goes A Long Way
There have been some that say Smith isn’t a great shooter and has gotten by mostly on speed, but every franchise he’s played for has praised his character.
Smith has been beloved by teammates and fans with every stop that he’s made in the NBA, and he says that’s something he learned from his parents.
Coaches and players around the league have the utmost respect for Smith, which is why so many teams have wanted him in the first place.
3. Value Your Abilities
Plenty of people will continue to fit a square peg into a round hole instead of using their most valuable abilities, but not Smith.
Throughout his career, Ish Smith knows that he gets by with his speed and dribbling abilities, which makes him a valuable point guard.
You don’t have to be the best in the world at everything, but rather very good at one particular thing to get you a long way in life.
Ish Smith has been in the NBA for well over a decade, but has never been able to settle down in one location for more than three years.
For a lot of players, that would’ve been a signal to leave the league so that they don’t have to continue to move, but Smith loves the challenge of a new team.
Now on his 13th team in the NBA, Smith is still on the hunt for his first NBA Championship, and playing with the current Denver Nuggets gives him his best shot at a title.
As of February 2023, Ish Smith’s net worth is estimated to be $28.5 Million.