Ricky Gervais is an English comedian, actor, director, producer, and singer.
He has acted as the manager of the newly formed band, Suede.
Eventually, he turned to comedy, joining the new radio station Xfm as head of speech, where he met his long-time collaborator, Stephen Merchant.
The duo first came to the limelight with the mockumentary, ‘The Office’, winning several prizes for it. It was followed by the equally successful ‘The Ricky Gervais Show’ on Xfm and ‘Extras’ on BBC Two.
As his fame spread internationally, he began to receive offers from Hollywood, starring in films like ‘Ghost Town’ and ‘Muppets Most Wanted’. He also wrote, directed and starred in films like ‘The Invention of Lying’, ‘Cemetery Junction’ and ‘Special Correspondents’.
He was a host at the Golden Globe Awards ceremony numerous times and was named on the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people in 2010.
Here are 35 of the best quotes from Ricky Gervais:
30 Ricky Gervais Quotes
1. “Telling someone with depression to pull themselves together is about as useful as telling someone with cancer to just stop having cancer” – Ricky Gervais
2. “The world is bigger than all the parts. That’s the important thing, and one thing can throw everything off kilter. And you must never let yourself off. You’ll let yourself off by mistake. So you shouldn’t do it consciously. You have to be above it all and just be very disciplined with it. Just be very disciplined with it.” – Ricky Gervais
3. “I’ve never been insulted by hateful Satanists for not believing in their devil. Only by loving Christians for not believing in their God.” – Ricky Gervais
4. “Famous people are above the law.” – Ricky Gervais
5. “I get so sick of people asking: “What’s your demographic?” Or: “Oh we’ve got to aim this at…” No, you have to aim it at you. You do the thing you would love… make the thing you would love and be proud of. There are enough people in the world that, if you do that and do it well as a single vision, they’ll go: “That’s my favorite thing ever!” – Ricky Gervais
6. “Comedy and drama are different sides of the same coin. And the thing about comedy and drama is about likability. It’s about character first. It’s about the story. And for me, it’s about empathy, and I think the more real someone is, the further you can go either way with them.” – Ricky Gervais
7. “Mondays are fine. It’s your life that sucks” – Ricky Gervais
8. “I’ve got three friends that you’d call famous, but I’m sure after 20 years, most of my friends will be famous or work in television because that’s the nature of what your work is. When I was working in an office, most of my friends worked in offices.” – Ricky Gervais
9. “Take a picture, not a trophy This is how real men shoot animals” – Ricky Gervais
10th of 30 Ricky Gervais Quotes
10. “Sometimes I’ll be confident and go into a shop and say, “Hello, yeah, all right,” and then the next day, if someone looks at me or talks to me, I just don’t know what to do. If you’re walking down the street with a baseball cap, you might be fine. But if you’re in a pub and you see someone look at you, you think the worst thing in the world now is if they come over. It’s a really weird feeling.” – Ricky Gervais
11. “Same-sex marriage isn’t a gay privilege, it’s equal rights. Privilege would be something like gay people not paying taxes. Like churches don’t.” – Ricky Gervais
12. “I think doing something creative is the most important thing to me, and I think it’s probably just good for the soul for anyone, whatever it is. You don’t have to be a film director – you can do gardening or something – but I think everyone needs to create something.” – Ricky Gervais
13. “Dear Religion, This week I safely dropped a man from space while you shot a child in the head for wanting to go to school. Yours, Science.” – Ricky Gervais
14. “I think sometimes you get given a good pile of goodwill, and it’s whether you use it up in the first six months or spread it out over a career.” – Ricky Gervais
15. “Why buy a book when you can join a library?” – Ricky Gervais
16. “It’s a privilege to be in such a great category of people and… I don’t believe in God, so I’d like to thank dogs. Dogs have given me everything.” – Ricky Gervais
17. “Unlike religious people, I look at all religions equally.” – Ricky Gervais
18. “I think everyone has the ability to be loved.” – Ricky Gervais
19. “If there is a God, why did he make me an atheist?” – Ricky Gervais
20th of 30 Ricky Gervais Quotes
20. “I’ve probably done the odd thing. I’ve probably done more than I would have done and some things you don’t say no to. You don’t say no to working with “The Simpsons”… the greatest comedy show on television. You mustn’t. Even though going to my bad judgment, I remember saying that all I can do is make this show slightly worse.” – Ricky Gervais
21. “Opinions don’t affect facts. But facts should affect opinions, and do if you’re rational” – Ricky Gervais
22. “We only do what we think is good and what we’re happy with. I’d rather have something that’s completely mine fail than something succeed that I’m not proud of.” – Ricky Gervais
23. “Being an atheist makes someone a clearer thinking, fairer person. They [atheists] are not doing things to be rewarded in heaven; they’re doing things because they’re right because they live by a moral code.” – Ricky Gervais
24. “Someone asked me what three things I would save if my house was on fire. I said my cat, my salamander and one of the twins.” – Ricky Gervais
25. “I never think of myself as a celebrity – or even an actor, actually. I think of myself as a writer-director.” – Ricky Gervais
26th of 30 Ricky Gervais Quotes
26. “Next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say ‘Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…’ If they say ‘Just God. I only believe in the one God,’ I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.” – Ricky Gervais
27. “People confuse the subject of the joke with the target of the joke, and they’re very rarely the same.” – Ricky Gervais
28. “You won’t burn in hell. But be nice anyway.” – Ricky Gervais
29. “People have let me down in the past. I’ve loved something, and it’s become a disgrace. I’d rather start again.” – Ricky Gervais
30. “Enjoy life. Have fun. Be kind. Have worth. Have friends. Be honest. Laugh. Die with dignity. Make the most of it. It’s all we’ve got.” – Ricky Gervais
Thanks for checking out this collection of Ricky Gervais quotes!
Which are your favorite Ricky Gervais quotes? Leave a comment below.
Raúl Castro Net Worth
What is Raúl Castro’s net worth? Introduction Raúl Castro is a Cuban politician who serves as the First Secretary...
George Kittle Net Worth
Introduction George Kittle is an American football tight end for the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL. Kittle played college...
Armin Van Buuren Net Worth
What is Armin Van Buuren’s net worth? Introduction Armin Van Buuren is a Dutch DJ and record producer. Since 2001,...
Audrina Patridge Net Worth
What is Audrina Patridge’s net worth? Introduction Audrina Patridge is an American television personality and actress. Patridge rose to fame...
Ben Stein Net Worth
What is Ben Stein’s net worth? Introduction Ben Stein is an American writer, lawyer, actor, and comedian. Stein began his...