What is Common’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$45 Million|
|Born:||March 13, 1972|
|Height:||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Rapper|
|Last Updated:||August 2, 2022|
Common is an American rapper, musician, actor, and entrepreneur who has worked with some of the biggest rappers in the music industry.
In addition to his music work, he’s appeared in many blockbuster films alongside some of Hollywood’s leading A-list actors, spanning multiple movie genres.
As of February 2023, Common’s net worth is estimated to be $45 Million.
- Common had to change his original performing name Common Sense when he was threatened with a lawsuit.
- He provided the voice for Gatorade’s G Series Sports Drink commercial that was launched during Super Bowl 2010.
- Common is the first rapper in history to win a Grammy Award, Emmy Award, and Academy Award.
- In 2009, Common became the brand ambassador for Only the Brave, a line of fragrances from Diesel.
- His charity the Common Ground Foundation was launched in 2010, and is dedicated to empowering disadvantaged youth in urban communities.
- In 2008 he supported the candidacy of presidential candidate Barack Obama, appearing in the Yes We Can song to show his support.
Born Lonnie Rashid Lynn Jr. in Chicago, Illinois on March 13th, 1972, Common was raised by his teacher mother and basketball player father.
As a young adult, Common attended Florida A&M University, where he studied business administration, before moving on to his career as a rapper and musician.
Common first began rapping in 1991 as a solo artist using the name Common Sense, releasing his debut single the following year.
His initial success came with his second album, Resurrection, which he released in 1994, while his third album, One Day It’ll All Make Sense, landed him a major label deal.
Additional work included an appearance on College Dropout, the debut album from Kanye West, as well as collaborations with some of the richest rappers in the world, including members of the Wu-Tang Clan.
His albums and singles have sold millions of copies combined, and Common has been nominated for or awarded a variety of accolades including BET Awards, Grammy Awards, and an Academy Award.
More Professional Rappers:
- A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie Net Worth
- Bizzy Bone Net Worth
- Desiigner Net Worth
- Shyne Net Worth
- Solo Lucci Net Worth
- Darryl McDaniels Net Worth
- Popp Hunna Net Worth
Successful Acting Career
In addition to his hugely successful career as a rapper and music producer, Common has appeared in several high-profile Hollywood movies.
People Also Search for:
- Tiffany Haddish Net Worth
- Queen Latifah Net Worth
- John Legend Net Worth
- Nas Net Worth
- Busta Rhymes Net Worth
Common’s Career Earnings
Common has earned variable income over the course of his years based on his record sales and appearances in a string of popular movies.
Here’s an estimated overview of Common’s career earnings:
- Common’s Salary In 1994 – $2,000
- Common’s Salary In 1997 – $25,000
- Common’s Salary In 2000 – $748,000
- Common’s Salary In 2005 – $800,000
- Common’s Salary In 2007 – $500,000
- Common’s Salary In 2008 – $12 million
- Common’s Salary In 2009 – $6 million
- Common’s Salary In 2022 – $4.2 million
Common’s Net Worth Annually
While Common’s net worth over time is hard to get precise figures for, his album sales and movie role fees can give us an insight into how this figure has changed.
Here’s an estimated breakdown of Common’s annual net worth:
- Common’s Net Worth In 1999 – $2 million
- Common’s Net Worth In 2009 – $24 million
- Common’s Net Worth In 2020 – $35 million
- Common’s Net Worth In 2021 – $35 million
- Common’s Net Worth In 2022 – $45 million
Over the course of his career, Common has been romantically linked to a variety of women and is perhaps most famous for his relationship with Serena Williams, one of the most successful female tennis players of all time.
Common is also a notable fan of sports, in particular supporting one of the richest NFL teams in the world, the Chicago Bears, as well as supporting the Chicago Bulls.
He’s also noted for his activism, in particular through his association with PETA and support for their campaigns for animal rights.
Awards & Achievements
Common has been nominated for and the recipient of numerous awards over the course of his career, both for his music and acting performances in films.
Here are some highlights from Common’s career:
- 2003: The song Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop) wins the Video of the Year and Viewers Choice awards at the BET Awards.
- 2007: At the BET Hip Hop Awards, Common picks up the Lyricist of the Year award.
- 2012: The Common album Finding Forever earns him an award for CD of the Year at the BET Hip Hop Awards.
- 2015: Together with John Legend, Common wins the Black Reel Awards choice for Best Original or Adapted Song.
- 2017: Glory wins Best Song Written for Visual Media at the Grammy Awards.
How Does Common Spend His Money?
Common is known to be secretive about how he spends his money, although he is known to reside in Beverly Hills, California, where some of the most expensive houses in the world are located.
His car collection reportedly includes several SUVs, as well as a Lincoln Navigator, Range Rover, and Cadillac Escalade.
He also owns one of the most expensive cars in the world, a Rolls Royce Phantom, which he is alleged to have spent over $450,000 to buy.
Common has proven himself to be talented in various domains, with his acting and music career delivering consistent successes
Here are some of the best highlights of Common’s career:
- 1992: Common releases his first single as a solo artist, Take It EZ, following it the same year with his hit debut album Can I Borrow A Dollar?
- 1997: His third album, One Day It’ll All Make Sense, leads to Common signing a record deal with MCA Records.
- 2002: Common begins to branch out into movie acting with his appearance as himself in the film Brown Sugar.
- 2004: An appearance on the debut album from Kanye West, The College Dropout, further elevates Common’s fame and fortune.
- 2006: Common’s entrepreneurial endeavors continue to expand, with the rapper and actor working as a model for Gap as well as promoting products for Microsoft and Blackberry.
Favorite Common Quotes
Common has shared his thoughts on a broad range of topics over the years, from how to motivate yourself to succeed to reflections on his impressive career.
Here are our favorite quotes from Common:
- ” I just want people to feel like they can achieve something great in their lives. We all go through rough times, but love is the antidote. You’ve got to dream and just believe in yourself. And if you believe, you will achieve it.” – Common
- “Man, just believe in yourself, be able to dream, and know that there’s going to be valleys and peaks. Always stay centered, and know that God is the key, the beginning and end of everything you do.” – Common
- ” I put God first, and strive to do my best by being a loving human being, recognizing that sometimes I make mistakes and bad choices.” – Common
- ” Technically, my first acting job was in one of my videos for a song called ‘Retrospect For Life,’ which Lauryn Hill directed and featured an actress by the name of N’bushe Wright, who played my girlfriend who was about to be pregnant. I remember being so nervous about it, but now I feel like I can conquer the world with it.” – Common
- ” I learned a long time ago to be honest when I’m talking to other artists. Up-and-coming artists used to come and say something, they would have a demo reel, and I would try to tell them the truth. I don’t go up and say something unless I really feel it.” – Common
View our larger collection of Common quotes.
3 Amazing Lessons From Common
Now that you know all about Common’s net worth, let’s examine some of the key takeaways and lessons we can learn from his life and career.
His experiences in the music and film industry can teach us a great deal about success and help us with our own creative endeavors.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Common:
1. Improving Your Mental Health Isn’t Just About Improving Your Mind, It’s About Improving Your Whole Self
Common is a firm believer in the importance of a holistic approach to health, combining mental and physical well-being in one package.
This means developing a wellness routine that includes both physical exercise and emotional and mental development.
2. One Of The Most Powerful Things Someone Can Do Is Tell Their Story
When people are searching for answers about their life and purpose they look for positive stories wherever they can find them.
According to Common, everyone has their own journey through life and a story to tell that can bring value to someone else’s life.
3. Struggle Creates Progress
All progress requires some kind of struggle, whether it’s developing musical ability or learning to act in a Hollywood movie.
Education is crucial to Common’s success, and he’s often encouraged others to better themselves in whatever ways they can.
That concludes this guide to the rapper, actor, and entrepreneur Common’s net worth, exploring his career highlights.
Known for his work with everyone from Kanye West and the Wu-Tang Clan to Keanu Reeves and Denzel Washington, Common’s prolific career is truly impressive.
With more music and movies set to be released in the future, we’ll be updating this article to make sure it reflects his current net worth, so make sure you check back again.
As of February 2023, Common’s net worth is estimated to be $45 Million.