What is Fred Couples’ net worth?
|Net Worth:||$120 Million|
|Born:||October 3, 1959|
|Height:||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Golfer|
|Last Updated:||March 8, 2023|
Fred Couples is an American professional golfer who has competed in many championships and won fifteen overall PGA Tour tournaments.
His career has seen him move into course design, working on some of the most prestigious courses in America and around the world.
As of March 2023, Fred Couples’ net worth is estimated to be $120 Million.
Fred Couples Facts
- Fred Couples is one of the few professional golfers who are self-taught rather than hiring an expensive professional swing coach.
- His original surname was Coppola, but his family changed it to Couples after immigrating from Italy.
- Fred Couples has a famous nickname and is often referred to as “Boom boom” because of the length off the tee.
- He’s the first American golfer to make the top spot on the world golf rankings following their introduction in 1986.
- Couples uses a women’s driver as his 3-wood, which once belonged to Tom Watson’s wife and has since had the shaft refitted to suit Couples’ style.
Frederick Steven Couples was born October 3, 1959, in Seattle, Washington, where he was raised by his mother, Violet, and his father Tom.
With his father working as a groundskeeper for the Seattle Parks Department, Fred grew up with access to the Jefferson Park golf course from an early age.
After graduating from O’Dea High School in 1977, Couples went to the University of Houston on a scholarship, joining the Houston Cougar’s men’s golf team.
He played golf as an amateur from the age of 19, winning the 1978 Washington Open before turning pro.
Fred Couples began his career as a professional golfer in the early 1980s, winning his first PGA Tour event at the Kemper Open in 1983.
In the following years, he won a total of fourteen PGA Tour titles and was named Player of the Year in 1991 and 1992.
As well as playing against some of the best golfers of his generation, including Phil Mickelson and Vijay Singh, Couples has also played for the United States Ryder Cup team on several occasions.
In 2007, while competing at the Masters, he matched the record previously held by Gary Player for consecutive appearances.
Back injuries in the mid-199os curtailed his playing ability, leading to a steady decline in his overall performance in the sport.
He then moved to golf course design, including working on the Lost Canyon Golf Course in Simi Valley, California.
Fred Couples’ Career Earnings
Fred Couples’ many championships wins over the course of his career have increased his earnings over time.
As one of the richest golfers in the world, he has taken home anywhere between $100,000 and $700,000 for each tournament, with several wins each year.
His ongoing involvement in golf course design means his career earnings will continue to climb for the foreseeable future.
Fred Couples’ Net Worth Annually
With multiple PGA Tour victories and other tournament wins to his name, Fred Couples has enjoyed ongoing growth in his overall net worth.
This growth reached its peak in the mid-1990s when a back injury forced him to reconsider his profession.
However, investments in real estate and other business ventures have helped Couples maintain a steady net worth growth in recent years.
Fred Couples met his first wife, Deborah Couples while studying at the University of Houston in 1979, with the couple divorced in 1993.
He’s known for his close friendship with Michael Jordan, naming him as one of his assistant coaches for the 2011 Presidents Cup.
Couples uses his social media presence and official Twitter account to post news about upcoming events in the golfing community.
Awards & Achievements
Fred Couples has won many national and international golfing tournaments over the years, with the early 1990s marking the peak of his career.
As one of the richest athletes in the world, he’s been inducted into some of golf’s most prestigious halls of fame.
Here are some of the awards and accolades from Fred Couples’ career:
- 1984: Fred Couples begins his professional golfing career by winning the Players Championship.
- 1992: He defeats Raymond Floyd to take the top spot at the Masters Tournament.
- 1995: Couples wins the Dubai Desert Classic, beating Colin Montgomerie.
- 2004: At the Merrill Lynch Skins Game, Couples beats Tiger Woods for the title.
- 2013: Couples is inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
His continued involvement in golf course design means Couples will continue to impact the sport in the years to come.
How Does Fred Couples Spend His Money?
While Fred Couples might not have had the same success as Jack Nicklaus, he’s still managed to accumulate a truly impressive net worth over the years.
His spending habits are relatively subdued compared to other sporting stars, with Couples choosing to drive a Jaguar XJ over expensive sportscars.
Couples has also invested in real estate, with his five-bedroom home in California selling for $3.25 million in 2020.
Fred Couples has many decades of experience both as a professional golfer and a golf course designer, with many notable high points during this time.
In addition to his impressive 64 professional wins, he’s helped to take golf course design to the next level.
Here are some of the best highlights of Fred Couples’ career:
- 1977: Couples befriends Blane McCallister while studying at university, another future PGA Tour player who influenced his professional path.
- 1978: Playing at the Glendale Country Club in Bellevue, Couples wins the Washington Open.
- 1992: Couples reaches the number one overall spot on the Official World Golf Rankings for the first time.
- 1992: He establishes his golf course design firm, Couples Bates Golf Design.
- 2012: Couples wins his second senior major championship at Turnberry.
His continuing contributions to golf as a designer and influencer mean we can hope to see more great highlights in the future.
Favorite Fred Couples Quotes
Over the course of many interviews with the sporting press, Fred Couples has offered his unique insight into his life as a professional golfer.
This ranges from his understanding of how the media perceives him to how fortunate he feels he is for the life he leads.
Here are our favorite quotes from Fred Couples:
- “There is no truth in the idea that the person who hits the most balls will become the best golfer. Golf is a bizarre sport. You can work for years on your game, without making any improvement in your score.” – Fred Couples
- “The press still considers me one of the most laid-back athletes since Babe Ruth. That’s supposed to be a criticism, but I consider it a compliment because I think being carefree on the course is one of the secrets to scoring well consistently” – Fred Couples
- “My goal has always been to play golf, and play it well. In the end, that’s what I am, a golfer. If my back lets me, I’m going to play my favorite places. If I hurt myself, that’ll probably be it for a while.” – Fred Couples
- “I could go away five or six weeks in a row and never touch a club. I would just look at them and say, ‘I just don’t want to; it’s not that important.’ And it wasn’t that important.” – Fred Couples
- “Always count your blessings. Be thankful you are able to be out on a beautiful course. Most people in the world don’t have that opportunity.” – Fred Couples
3 Amazing Lessons From Fred Couples
Now that you know all about Fred Couples’ net worth, we’ll dip into some of the incredible life lessons we can learn from his life and experiences.
His dedication to his sport and his family can help everyone improve their lives in various ways.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Fred Couples:
1. Don’t Let Injuries Put You Off Success
When Fred Couples suffered from back injuries, it could easily have marked the end of his professional golfing career.
While his game did start to suffer, he was sensible enough to know he needed a new income source, so he established his golf design company.
2. Spread Your Investments Wisely
If you have money to invest, you should always diversify your investment portfolio rather than putting all of your eggs in one basket.
Couples has purchased multiple properties and invested in several businesses, so he’s unlikely to go bankrupt any time soon.
3. Try To Use Your Brain As Well As Your Brawn
Professional golfers know more about courses than anyone else, making them the ideal candidate for becoming a designer and bringing their ideas into reality.
So there you have it, our overview of the net worth of American professional golfer Fred Couples, exploring the championships that helped make him a golfing icon.
He continues to work on designs for some of America’s most prestigious golf courses and other lucrative business ventures.
Since his entrepreneurial activities and businesses continue to add to his net worth, we’ll be updating this article in the future to ensure it features the latest figures.
As of March 2023, Fred Couples’ net worth is estimated to be $120 Million.