What is Tom Joyner’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$40 Million|
|Born:||November 23, 1949|
|Height:||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional DJ|
|Last Updated:||August 2, 2022|
Tom Joyner, also known as “The Fly Jock”, is an incredibly talented radio host. He’s been referred to as one of the hardest-working men on radio and his comedic presence and upbeat attitude have earned him a huge worldwide audience.
Not only has he enjoyed a successful career in television and radio, but he has also taken a liking to writing, releasing a variety of books over the years.
As of February 2023, Tom Joyner’s net worth is estimated to be $40 Million.
Tom Joyner Facts
- He appeared in the comedy, Madea Goes to Jail, in 2009.
- Joyner also had a cameo role in The Gospel, in 2005.
- He hosted the Ebony/Jet Showcase in the 1980s.
- In 1985, he was offered two separate jobs in radio and decided to work both jobs simultaneously.
- Joyner collaborated with Mary Flowers Boyce on his 2005 book, I’m Just a DJ but … It Makes Sense to Me.
Thomas Joyner was born November 23, 1949, in Tuskegee, Alabama.
His parents, Hercules and Frances Joyner, ensured that he got a good education, sending him to attend Tuskegee University.
There he joined the Omega Psi Phi fraternity and discovered a love for music. It wasn’t long before he joined a band called the Commodores, with an eye to becoming a full-time musician.
His first career choice was to become a musician, but his parents advised him to choose a different career path as the band was not making money.
After graduating with a degree in sociology, Tom decided to go into broadcasting, specifically radio.
At the beginning of his career, he worked for Memphis and St Louis radio stations. He decided to move to Chicago in 1978 and started work at WVON during the morning show.
With his obvious talent for radio, he accepted two job offers in 1985, working one show in the morning and the other show during the evening.
The back and forth between these two jobs went on for eight years, with Joyner taking a plane ride to make the commute on time.
His determination and hard work got him an opportunity to work for the BBC in 1994.
Later, he worked for the ABC Radio Network, which decided to give him his own show called The Tom Joyner Morning Show, in 2005.
This show gained him instant popularity with the listeners and the show’s sponsors, Southwest Airlines and Walmart, were ecstatic about his results.
The show developed quite a following and was loved by people everywhere, including the critics, who gave Joyner rave reviews. The show made Tom one of the richest DJs in the world, as well as making him one of the most influential broadcasters on radio.
During his successful broadcasting career, Tom has also released multiple books, such as “I’m Just a DJ but…”, and “Tom Joyner Presents How to Prepare for College”.
He has dabbled in acting, having appeared in films such as “Madea Goes to Jail” and “The Gospel”. Joyner also hosted and appeared in multiple TV programs, such as the “Ebony/Jet Showcase”, and “The Tom Joyner Sky Show”.
After 25 years of bringing the world smiles and laughter, he decided to retire in 2019 following a stroke during a boxing session.
Other radio personalities like Howard Stern, Mark Simone, and Dave Ramsey have influenced their audience in one way or another, but Tom Joyner will have a special place in the hearts and minds of his fans forever.
Tom Joyner’s Career Earnings
Tom Joyner came from a highly educated family, with his grandfather being one of only 3,000 African/American physicians in America at the time.
It was expected by his family that he did well at school and university and then went on to a well-paying job.
Here’s an estimated overview of Tom Joyner’s annual income:
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2013 – $8.4 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2014 – $8.5 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2015 – $8.8 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2016 – $8.9 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2017 – $8.9 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2018 – $8.5 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2019 – $9 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2020 – $5 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2021 – $4 million
- Tom Joyner’s Salary In 2022 – $2 million
While Joyner may not be working in radio any longer, he finds time to write and receives royalties from his many books written over the years.
Tom Joyner’s Net Worth Annually
Tom Joyner was particularly interested in helping others in his community, specifically youngsters who showed promise at school.
To this end, he established a foundation using his own considerable wealth, to provide scholarships for those in need.
Here’s a breakdown of Tom Joyner’s annual net worth:
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2013 – $36 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2014 – $36.1 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2015 – $36.5 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2016 – $37 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2017 – $37.2 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2018 – $37.5 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2019 – $37.6 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2020 – $38 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2021 – $39.5 million
- Tom Joyner’s Net Worth In 2022 – $40 million
Joyner may have earned a great deal of money and built a great deal of wealth, but he’s also been quite happy to spend it on worthy causes.
Now that he is retired, he spends a great deal of time making sure that his foundation continues to help and support those in desperate need.
Joyner married his wife Dora and had two sons named Thomas Jr and Oscar, whom he gave the nicknames “Thriller” and “Killer”.
The couple decided to divorce shortly before Tom began a relationship with Donna Richardson. He then married the famous aerobics instructor and fitness expert in 2000. The marriage lasted 12 years, with the couple divorcing in 2012 for unknown reasons.
Tom suffered a stroke in 2019 after trying out some boxing training with his therapist, which resulted in him retiring from his highly successful radio career.
He’s still involved with his foundation and you can follow his official Instagram account to see what he’s doing.
Awards & Achievements
Tom Joyner was always a high achiever, so it came as no surprise that he put so much effort into being the best radio personality he could be.
The awards and accolades followed shortly after he got his own show and followed him throughout his career.
Here are some of the more memorable moments from Tom Joyner’s career:
- Joyner received the NAB Marconi Radio Award in 2004.
- He was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 1998.
- During the BETA Awards in 2015, he was awarded the Humanitarian Award.
- In 2008, Joyner was inducted into the International Civil Rights Walk of Fame.
- He was also given the NAACP Image Award in 2019.
Tom Joyner was not only famous as a radio host but also for his philanthropic work.
He took his role as a mentor and advisor seriously, making sure that his foundation was able to look after those children who really needed a hand-up.
How Does Tom Joyner Spend His Money?
Joyner is a well-known philanthropist and has been funding the Tom Joyner Foundation since 1998.
The foundation offers scholarships (Hercules Scholarships and Full Ride Scholarships), educational programs, and helps to ensure quality teaching for minority students.
He has also personally taken the time to raise awareness and donate toward the 2011 Alzheimer’s Association Walk.
To get to his studio on time, Tom purchased one of the most expensive private jets in the world, a Gulfstream Aerospace G-1159A Gulfstream III.
While he enjoys luxury cars, owning the most expensive cars in the world is not really his scene.
He prefers the finer things in life and his private art collection includes some of the most expensive paintings in the world with works by Picasso, Robert Pruitt, and Ernie Barnes gracing his home’s walls.
He’s also a huge boxing fan with a boxing ring in his house where the garage used to be.
With each career move he made, Tom Joyner improved his reputation and stature within the broadcasting world.
He is a talented individual with a wide range of interests and the ability to tell a great story through his books and articles.
Here are some of the best highlights of Tom Joyner’s career:
- Tom released a book titled “I’m Just a DJ but…It Makes Sense to Me” in 2005, through Warner Books.
- He also released the book, “Tom Joyner Presents How to Prepare for College” in 2009.
- In 1994, Tom hosted the “Tom Joyner Show” to wide acclaim.
- Tom founded the Tom Joyner Foundation in 1998, to help disadvantaged minority students.
- He appeared in the documentary, “Rising from the Rails: The Story of the Pullman Porter” alongside his father and grandfather in 2006.
Now that Joyner has retired, he is no longer producing quality radio shows for his fans. However, re-runs of the shows are audio-streamed for all to enjoy.
Favorite Tom Joyner Quotes
For a celebrity with so much to give and a platform on which to broadcast, Tom Joyner has enjoyed a broad appeal for his advice and mentorship.
He preaches a universal message of responsibility and hard work, not forgetting to add in a small dose of accountability too.
Here are our favorite quotes from Tom Joyner:
- “There is no room for jealousy in business. If someone is doing a better job than you are, either find a way to improve yourself or join forces with that person.” – Tom Joyner
- ” First, we get people laughing, then we get ’em to listen. If you can get people to listen, then they begin to think, and that’s when they start making a difference.” – Tom Joyner
- ” The NAACP was even considering earlier this summer reassessing their position on school integration.” – Tom Joyner
- ” We take five, one-week vacations a year, and those dates are set in stone.” – Tom Joyner
- “Fighting the power is good, but becoming the power is even better.” – Tom Joyner
3 Amazing Lessons From Tom Joyner
Tom Joyner has lived an amazing life, meeting people who have had the opportunity to make a difference in other people’s lives.
He never missed an opportunity to do some good and spread a message of hope to those who listened to him.
Now that you know all about Tom Joyner’s net worth, here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Tom Joyner:
1. Focus On Yourself
Don’t waste your time trying to compete with others. You’re the one who sets your standard of living when it comes to your career and your personal life.
2. With Hard Work And Determination, You Can Achieve Your Goals
During the early part of Joyner’s career, he worked two jobs and commuted via plane. He was determined to make it work, and this was the reason behind his career success.
3. Don’t Let Others’ Opinions Stop You From Achieving Your Dreams
Starting a radio and TV career is difficult, and people will say you won’t make it. But so long as you believe you can do it, then you can achieve whatever your heart desires.
Tom Joyner made a memorable comedic presence on both TV and radio. He will be remembered by his audience for influencing them in the best way possible for his example of what hard work and determination can get you.
The most hardworking man in radio has finally decided to retire and take a break from the intense life of broadcasting. Despite his medical condition, he can finally enjoy the luxurious life he worked so hard for.
As of February 2023, Tom Joyner’s net worth is estimated to be $40 Million.