Travelling is one of the greatest gifts in the world;
I’m currently travelling through Asia, having just spent a month in Thailand, and now in Singapore. I have no idea where I’m going next and I love it.
There’s so much to be gained from travelling, that everyone really does need to take some time out to do it.
Why stay in the country you were born in for your all life when there’s so much in the world for you to see?
Older generations didn’t have this privilege during the time when planes didn’t exist or were only affordable if you were rich. So now that flights to pretty much anywhere in the world are good value, how can you pass up on the opportunity?
You’re only here once. You only get one life.
Since I’m in the travelling mood, and I’m sure many of you reading are also in the same situation, I’ve compiled a list of some of the most inspirational travel quotes that all backpackers need to hear.
30 Inspirational Travel Quotes for Backpackers
1. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
2. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
3. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous
4. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
5. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
6. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor
7. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
8. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
9. “Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.” – Irving Wallace
10th of 30 Travel Quotes
10. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.” – Caskie Stinnett
11. “Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.” – Alan Keightley
12. “Investment in travel is an investment in yourself.” – Matthew Karsten
13. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
14. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
15. “A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi
16. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux
17. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
19. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
20th of 30 Travel Quotes
20. “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
21. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
22. “No place is ever as bad as they tell you it’s going to be.” – Chuck Thompson
23. “There’s something so satisfying about not knowing which country you’re going to next, only a couple of days before you head there.” – Dan Western
24. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
25. “Adventure is worthwhile.” – Aesop
26. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
27. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
28. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” – Robert Frost
29. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
30. “I’m addicted to sitting in foreign places watching the locals live out their daily routine as if it was just another day. Meanwhile, I think I’m in heaven.” – Dan Western
Thanks for checking out these 30 inspirational travel quotes that all backpackers need to hear. Hopefully you enjoyed the list and it’s inspired you to travel the world!
Know anyone who wants to travel? Share the list with them on Facebook and Twitter!