I was browsing through Facebook the other day, and one of my friends had posted a status on these life lessons as described by an 80 year old man. It really moved me, so I’ve decided to re-post the 50 real life lessons on here, and write a little detail about them.
A lot of these life lessons actually really hit me, as I found myself nodding at virtually all of them. I’ve put the original source at the bottom of the article.
50 Life Lessons From An 80 Year Old Man
Enjoy and let me know what you think in the comments at the end. Here are 50 amazing life lessons from an 80 year old man.
1. Have a Firm Handshake
A firm handshake is necessary in life for making an incredible impression on everyone you meet. Nobody takes anyone seriously when their handshake isn’t solid.
2. Look People in the Eye
Just like having a great handshake, looking people in the eye establishes a great connection with the person on the other end. It shows you’re serious, enthusiast, listening, and actually want to have the conversation.
3. Sing in the Shower
What’s life when you can’t relax and have a good sing in the shower. Let out all that tension whilst you have the time.
4. Own a Great Stereo System
Music makes the world turn. It lifts your spirits, motivates you and contributes to your overall mood and happiness. Make sure you’re playing your music on a stereo that won’t let you down.
5. If in a Fight, Hit First & Hit Hard
Fights in real life aren’t like in the movies. If you find yourself unable to walk away from a fight, make sure you hit first. Hitting first throws the other person off their game, and gives you the immediate edge.
6. Keep Secrets
Keeping secrets means you’ll always be trusted in the eyes of those that they’re from, and ensures that you won’t harm anyone else’s feelings.
7. Never Give Up On Anybody. Miracles Happen Everyday
If you find yourself in a tough situation with someone you care about, don’t give up. You can still mend things, trust me. Put in the effort and have patience.
8. Always Accept an Outstretched Hand
We all need help in life. We can’t do everything on our own even if we think we can. If someone offers to help you, kindly accept. Don’t refuse.
9. Be Brave. Even if You’re Not, Pretend to Be. No One Can Tell the Difference.
Life favors the brave. Be brave. Don’t let people see fear inside of you. They’ll eat you alive.
Because… well, why not?
11. Avoid Sarcastic Remarks
Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit. You’re not going to make anybody happy by being sarcastic all the time.
12. Choose your life’s mate carefully. From this one decision will come 90 per cent of all your happiness or misery.
It’s an obvious one right? Choose carefully, and not just with your partner, but with your friends! The people you spend most of your time with will either contribute to or depreciate your happiness.
13. Make it a habit to do nice things for people who will never find out.
Helping others is actually an incredible feeling. There’s some small thing everyday that can have a big impact on someone. Do some nice things for people.
14. Lend only those books you never care to see again.
Books are a great source of knowledge no doubt, but more to the point, lend things that you don’t mind not seeing again. That way you won’t be chasing people for them back.
15. Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all that they have.
Never tell people that they can’t do something, or that their dreams are impossible. Hope is a beautiful thing. Don’t have a negative impact on someone’s mind, no matter what it is they want to do.
16. When playing games with children, let them win.
Let children win the games you play with them. Allow them happiness. Let them have fun. Make it a close race though guys!
17. Give people a second chance, but not a third.
Everybody makes mistakes. People deserve a second chance. If they screw both chances up then it no longer becomes an accidental mistake. It becomes deliberate.
18. Be Romantic
If there’s someone in your life that you care about, then show them. Be romantic for the ones you love. They’ll appreciate it a lot.
19. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
Being positive not only adds to your own happiness, state of mind and success, but it also radiates that energy to the people you spend time around. Remember that.
20. Loosen up. Relax. Except for rare life-and-death matters, nothing is as important as it first seems.
It needs no explaining. Just relax, take it easy, try not to worry as much about situations that really aren’t going to have a huge effect on your life. What’s the point?
21. Don’t allow the phone to interrupt important moments. It’s there for our convenience, not the caller’s.
Often, people allow phone calls to distract them from important and cherish-able moments. Maybe you’re a business owner but you’re at your children’s birthday party, or you’re spending time with your family.
The phone call can wait.
22. Be a good loser.
Be humble in defeat, congratulate the winners and let them have their celebration.
23. Be a good winner.
Be humble in victory, congratulate the losers on their great efforts.
24. Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret.
Secrets are dangerous. When you tell a friend a secret, you’ve put them in an uncomfortable situation. Are they really better off knowing the secret than not knowing it?
25. When someone hugs you, let them be the first to let go.
A simple gesture, to show someone how much they mean to you. Just don’t be the first one to let go after a hug.
26. Be modest. A lot was accomplished before you were born.
You may well be “the sh*t”, but don’t forget how much the world has changed before you were here. Battles that were won and lost, inventions that were made, technology breakthroughs. Be modest and be humble.
27. Keep it simple
Keep it simple.
28. Beware of the person who has nothing to lose
There’s always people out there who have nothing to lose. Be wary. These are the people that are most dangerous.
29. Don’t burn bridges. You’ll be surprised how many times you have to cross the same river
Do you really want to have to re-build those bridges down the road?
30. Live your life so that your epitaph could read, No Regrets
They say that you don’t regret the things you did in life, you regret the things you did not.
31. Be bold and courageous. When you look back on life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did
There you go!
32. Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them
Telling the people you care about that you love them is such a simple gesture, with such a big impact.
33. Remember no one makes it alone. Have a grateful heart and be quick to acknowledge those who helped you
We all need a little help in life! Don’t forget to acknowledge the people willing to help you.
34. Take charge of your attitude. Don’t let someone else choose it for you
Your attitude in life is crucial to your overall success and happiness. Don’t let others have an influence on this for you.
35. Visit friends and relatives when they are in hospital; you need only stay a few minutes
This is a given. Just a few minutes of your day to see your relatives in hospital.
36. Begin each day with some of your favorite music
Studies have shown that what we hear within the first 20 minutes of waking up has a big effect on our mood for the rest of the day. Put some of your favorite music on.
37. Once in a while, take the scenic route
We get so caught up on taking the quickest options in life. Once in a while, take the scenic route and capture some of the raw beauty.
38. Send a lot of Valentine cards. Sign them, ‘Someone who thinks you’re terrific.’
Make someone’s day. They won’t know it’s from you, but it will brighten their day for sure.
39. Answer the Phone With Enthusiasm and Energy in Your Voice.
40. Keep a Note Pad and Pencil on Your Bed-Side Table. Million-Dollar Ideas Sometimes Strike at 3 a.m.
This is incredibly true, and actually Jay-Z used to carry a notepad with him everywhere he went.
41. Show Respect for Everyone Who Works for a Living, Regardless of How Trivial their Job
These people work hard. They deserve some respect.
42. Send Your Loved ones Flowers. Think of a Reason Later.
There doesn’t even need to be a reason to send your loved ones flowers. It’s a nice surprise no matter what the reason may be.
43. Make Someone’s Day by Paying the Toll for the Person in the Car Behind You.
I guess this one depends on where you live, but it’s another great example of having a positive effect on someone’s day with very minimal effort.
44. Become Someone’s Hero
There’s a quote that goes like this; “To the world you might just be one person, but to one person you might be the world.”
45. Marry Only for Love
Marrying for any other reason is stupid. The marriage will not last and it will leave you vulnerable.
46. Count Your Blessings
Always be grateful for what you have in life. There are people out there who have far less than you, so always be grateful for that roof over your head, the job you have, the family you have, the food you eat.
47. Compliment the Meal When You’re a Guest in Someone’s Home
If you’re a guest in someone’s house, and they cook for you, always be polite. Compliment the meal as a token of appreciation, and they’ll feel good after putting it together for you.
48. Wave at the Children on a School Bus.
Children love to smile, they love to wave. Waving back at children will make their day. There’s no effort involved, so make sure the children are happy.
49. Remember that 80 Percent of the Success in any Job is Based on Your Ability to Deal with People
Virtually every job in the world involves dealing with other people in some way or another. Whether it be customers, employees or other businesses. So you have to be good in dealing with people. If you’re not, you will not succeed.
50. Don’t Expect Life to Be Fair
Life is not fair. Life is hard. Expect it to be that way. But that doesn’t mean you can’t achieve your dreams or goals. It just means you’ll need to work hard, and have patience. If you can master this, what you want will come in good time.
Wow, what a powerful bunch of life lessons! A lot of these on here I had already resonated with, and I’m so glad to have been able to have shared this list with you.
Are there any life lessons here that really stood out to you? Leave a comment below.
Source: Pat Divilly