Which are your favorite Mindy Kaling quotes?
Mindy Kaling is an American actress, comedian, writer, producer, and director. She first gained recognition after her appearance on the American sitcom ‘The Office’, in which she actually also served as a writer, executive producer, and director for the show.
She successfully earned many awards nominations for her work on the series, including a Primetime Emmy Award and several Outstanding Comedy Series.
Throughout her career, she has also worked as a voice actor and stand-up comedian. Kaling then manages to establish herself as a force to be reckoned with in the comedy world.
In terms of movies, she has produced and starred in many famously known TV series, such as ‘The Mindy Project’, ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’, and ‘Never Have I Ever’.
We’ve put together this collection of the best Mindy Kaling quotes:
50 Mindy Kaling Quotes to Brighten Your Day
1. “I would be the first to admit that I have incredibly high, ambitious standards for my life and my career, and I’ve had those my entire life. It’s something that was just instilled in me by my parents.” – Mindy Kaling
2. “I am the kind of person that is drawn to colors against my will.” – Mindy Kaling
3. “When I was a kid, my parents smartly raised us to keep quiet, be respectful to older people, and generally not question adults all that much. I think that’s because they were assuming that 99 percent of the time, we’d be interacting with worthy, smart adults… They didn’t ever tell me ‘Sometimes you will meet idiots who are technically adults and authority figures. You don’t have to do what they say.” – Mindy Kaling
4. “I think as humans, no one remembers their successes, everyone just remembers their failures.” – Mindy Kaling
5. “There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it.” – Mindy Kaling
6. “I’ve always had that chip on my shoulder. I’ve just always been super hard on myself.” – Mindy Kaling
7. “I, like most women, I dress for other women, I think. If I was going to dress for men, I think in general I would be just wearing, like, a fitted black T-shirt and tight jeans every day.” – Mindy Kaling
8. “There are little Indian girls out there who look up to me, and I never want to belittle the honor of being an inspiration to them. But while I’m talking about why I’m so different, white male showrunners get to talk about their art. I always get asked, ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well-meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’” – Mindy Kaling
9. “My relationship with my mom is really the single most profound relationship that I’ve ever had in my life.” – Mindy Kaling
10th of 50 Mindy Kaling Quotes
10. “Nothing gives you confidence like being a member of a small, weirdly specific, hard-to-find demographic.” – Mindy Kaling
11. “I always wanted to write, even before I realized that there was a comedy writers’ world, or what that life was like. I never thought of myself, at least as a little kid, in terms of being the onscreen talent. I always thought it’d be so much fun to write sketches and be a writer. Even as little as 6 or 7, that’s what my main interest was.” – Mindy Kaling
12. “I don’t have very much time to surf the net, because it’s as though my boss has a tracking device on me. The instant I’m looking at a Chloe sweater on Shopbop, I’ll get a call in my office with a PA asking: “Paul wants to know where you are and why you’re not in the writers room, and if maybe you’re online shopping.” – Mindy Kaling
13. “There is some pressure when you are a woman doing what I do that you must support all other women unconditionally, no matter what they’re projecting, or writing, or producing, or putting forth as their art. I think that’s equally arbitrary and random and unfair, and kind of sexist. The secretly sexist way. I have really high standards for what I think is funny. I have that for everything, and I think it would be disingenuous of me to blanket-ly love everything a woman has produced simply to make a statement that we’re all in this together.” – Mindy Kaling
14. “As I’ve gotten older, I can look at myself more clearly and own the things that I’m good at and work on the things that I’m not. Like, I am not skinny. I know that if I were to lose a little weight I’d literally have more time in the morning because I know clothes would fit better. And now I can look at those things more practically. Instead of being like, “What does that say about me?,” now I’m just like, “That would be great to sleep in an extra fifteen minutes because I wasn’t trying on everything in my closet.” – Mindy Kaling
15. “When I’ve acted, and it’s not been something I’ve written or have had at least a hand in writing, I do think there is a controlling side of me that is frustrated by that. And I actually don’t think that it’s a bad thing, because if I’m going to be in movies, in large part they’re going to be movies that I write.” – Mindy Kaling
16. “I worship makeup. The basics are always: Stila shadows, LeClerc powder for my crazy shiny skin, Bobbie brown liner pot, Chanel mascara, and Koh Gen Do for foundation, Nars for colors and sparkles.” – Mindy Kaling
17. “I cringe a lot when I look at my early talk-show experiences.” – Mindy Kaling
18. “People who are good at stand-up, they sort of seem to have to do it. Something within them makes them have to go on the road.” – Mindy Kaling
19. “There are so many distractions you can face as a woman, either with relationships or worrying about, Should I go to this party? or, Should I be doing this to help me get ahead? All [success] is, is doing your work and staying focused. It’s boring advice, but boring good advice is what you can get from me!” – Mindy Kaling
20th of 50 Mindy Kaling Quotes
20. “I just have my characters say my controversial opinions and then hide behind them.” – Mindy Kaling
21. “I hate gowns. It’s a rare gown indeed that is cool. Most are elegant or whatever, a quality I don’t put a big premium on.” – Mindy Kaling
22. “Teenage girls, please don’t worry about being super popular in high school, or being the best actress in high school, or the best athlete. Not only do people not care about any of that the second you graduate, but when you get older, if you reference your successes in high school too much, it actually makes you look kind of pitiful, like some babbling old Tennessee Williams character with nothing else going on in her current life. What I’ve noticed is that almost no one who was a big star in high school is also big star later in life. For us overlooked kids, it’s so wonderfully fair.” – Mindy Kaling
23. “I think references, where they fit organically, are great. It’s great to do a show that’s real and relatable, and so much of what is real, is using real things and instances that are specific. Specificity is the best tool you can have, as a writer.” – Mindy Kaling
24. “I think a lot of people compare female writers or female comedians to each other in a way that men are not. Male comedy writers are not scrutinized.” – Mindy Kaling
25. “Everyone should try to live their life like they’d like to be a role model.” – Mindy Kaling
26. “I don’t mind that if I ever star in movies, they’ll likely be mine. That’s okay, because my great role models – Woody Allen, even Tyler Perry, who is actually one of my role models, even if that seems kind of strange – they do that themselves. And it’s great. They build empires, and they’re known as having their own voice. I think it’s 20 times more fun to act on a set where I feel the freedom to change the dialogue.” – Mindy Kaling
27. “I have a goofy side that impacts my clothing a lot. To that end, I love witty, colorful, prints.” – Mindy Kaling
28. “Don’t fall into the trap of thinking about politics in your workplace too much. Just work hard, be cheerful, ignore distractions.” – Mindy Kaling
29. “If you are going to ask your crush for their phone number, you are one of the small group of women I am so jealous of.” – Mindy Kaling
30th of 50 Mindy Kaling Quotes
30. “Those who are saying it’s possible [to balance family and business] are often in a little bit of a rarefied place where they also have the money to do that. It’s not quite such an easy stance to take when you don’t have the same resources. I like to remind people that these are rich Manhattanites and to keep an eye on the fact that, especially with social media and these articles and these blogs, that that is not the reality for most women, unfortunately.” – Mindy Kaling
31. “Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched.” – Mindy Kaling
32. “I’m so much more confident and sexy at thirty-eight than I ever was when I was eighteen or twenty-four…” – Mindy Kaling
33. “I’m the kind of person who would rather get my hopes up really high and watch them get dashed to pieces than wisely keep my expectations at bay and hope they are exceeded. This quality has made me a needy and theatrical friend but has given me a spectacularly dramatic emotional life.” – Mindy Kaling
34. “There Has Ceased to Be a Difference Between My Awake Clothes and My Asleep Clothes” – Mindy Kaling
35. “I am an incredibly impatient person.” – Mindy Kaling
36. “I feel the same way about clothes as I do about food. I want everything,” – Mindy Kaling
37. “Something that’s happened recently is that I don’t beat myself up about stuff.” – Mindy Kaling
38. “Directing is exhausting, but not for the actual directing part, when you say “Action!” and give creative notes. As a director, the exhausting part is that you are a professional answer-machine.” – Mindy Kaling
39. “Here’s my feeling: For everyone, men and women, it’s important to be a feminist. It’s important to have female characters. It’s wonderful for women to mentor other women, but it’s just as important for women to mentor men and vice-versa. In my line of work, having Greg Daniels be such a great mentor to me is fantastic. Finding a writer’s assistant, be it a man or a woman, and encouraging them to think with a feminist perspective, is key.” – Mindy Kaling
40th of 50 Mindy Kaling Quotes
40. “I had to learn a skill set. I think I had the materials to be a good comedy writer.” – Mindy Kaling
41. “I have a whole system down for returning online shopping: a tape gun, a printer for return labels. That has replaced traditional window shopping in my life, as I’ve gotten busier.” – Mindy Kaling
42. “I find it incredible impossible not to cry when I hear Stevie Nicks’s “Landslide,” especially the lyric: “I’ve been afraid of changing because I’ve built my life around you.” I think a good test to see if a human is actually a robot/android/Cylon is to have them listen to this song lyric and study their reaction. If they don’t cry, you should stab them through the heart. You will find a fusebox.” – Mindy Kaling
43. “The funniest racism is the racism between minorities. It’s something you don’t see dramatized, but almost every minority I know who’s my age, they have these funny stories about their parents stereotyping other minorities.” – Mindy Kaling
44. “There are little Indian girls out there who look up to me, and I never want to belittle the honor of being an inspiration to them. But while I’m talking about why I’m so different, white male showrunners get to talk about their art.” – Mindy Kaling
45. “I have a thick skin, which comes from being a not-really-skinny, dark-skinned Indian woman. I haven’t fit in every place, and so I’m kind of used to resistance.” – Mindy Kaling
46. “I really think guys only need two pairs of shoes. A nice pair of black shoes and a pair of Chuck Taylors.” – Mindy Kaling
47. “I’m not into red carpet looks where it’s clear the woman wanted to look like a pretty, pretty princess.” – Mindy Kaling
48. “The Internet also makes it extraordinarily difficult for me to focus. One small break to look up exactly how almond milk is made, and four hours later I’m reading about the Donner Party and texting all my friends: DID YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT THE DONNER PARTY AND HOW MESSED UP THAT WAS? TEXT ME BACK SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT!” – Mindy Kaling
49. “More than half the questions I am asked are about the politics of the way I look” – Mindy Kaling
50. “I try not to put anything political on the forefront of what I’m trying to do creatively. At the same time, I do think it’s wonderful when I hear people say that it’s inspirational that I’m an Indian woman on camera. My life is very diverse, and my friends are a diverse group of people.” – Mindy Kaling
Thanks for checking out this collection of quotes from Mindy Kaling! Don’t forget to share them on social media with your friends and family.
Which are your favorite Mindy Kaling quotes? Leave a comment below.
Raúl Castro Net Worth
What is Raúl Castro’s net worth? Introduction Raúl Castro is a Cuban politician who serves as the First Secretary...
George Kittle Net Worth
Introduction George Kittle is an American football tight end for the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL. Kittle played college...
Armin Van Buuren Net Worth
What is Armin Van Buuren’s net worth? Introduction Armin Van Buuren is a Dutch DJ and record producer. Since 2001,...
Audrina Patridge Net Worth
What is Audrina Patridge’s net worth? Introduction Audrina Patridge is an American television personality and actress. Patridge rose to fame...
Ben Stein Net Worth
What is Ben Stein’s net worth? Introduction Ben Stein is an American writer, lawyer, actor, and comedian. Stein began his...