What is Cale Yarborough’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$50 Million|
|Born:||March 27, 1939|
|Height:||1.71 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Racing Driver|
|Last Updated:||March 8, 2023|
Cale Yarborough is one of the greatest NASCAR drivers to ever compete on the track, and he’s left a lasting legacy on the sport.
While he has since retired, he has continued to grow his net worth as an incredibly successful businessman and politician.
As of March 2023, Cale Yarborough’s net worth is estimated to be $50 Million.
Cale Yarborough Facts
- Cale Yarborough is one of only two drivers to ever have won three consecutive championships, having won the Winston Cup in 1976, 1977, and 1978.
- Yarborough won the Daytona 500 for the first time in 1968.
- Cale Yarborough made his debut at the Southern 500 in 1957 after having previously lied about his age as a teenager to try and compete for NASCAR.
- After retiring, Yarborough started Cale Yarborough Motorsports, a Winston Cup team that remained active from 1987 to 2000.
- In 2013, Cale Yarborough was inducted into the South Carolina Hall of Fame as a native of the state.
William Caleb “Cale” Yarborough was born on March 27th, 1939, to Julian and Annie Yarborough in a small unincorporated community near Timmonsville, South Carolina.
His father, Julian, was a tobacco farmer, cotton gin operator, and store owner who was killed in an airplane crash when Cale was only 10.
While attending Timmonsville High School, Cale played semi-pro football but made his first attempt to enter NASCAR by lying about his age, which eventually got him disqualified.
Fortunately, Cale didn’t stop pursuing his dreams of being a driver, and in 1957, he made his debut at the Southern 500, where he finished 42nd due to hub problems.
Following his appearance in 1957, Cale continued racing, and in 1962 he earned his first top 10 at the Daytona 500 Qualifying Race, finishing 10th overall.
By 1966, Yarborough had won two races, the Atlanta 500 and the Firecracker 400, and by the next year, he had won his first Daytona 500.
Yarborough then went on to win this third consecutive Atlanta 500, along with the first NASCAR race at the Michigan International Speedway.
Throughout the 1970s, Yarborough continued to experience success, winning a career-high 10 races in 1974 and nine more races in 1976.
However, 1977 was his best career year, and he was able to repeat his nine-race winning streak and finish every race he competed in.
During this year, he also won his second consecutive Winston Cup, which he followed up with another victory in 1978.
In 1979, Yarborough entered into a fight with Donnie and Bobby Allison after the Daytona 500, with the confirmation and race often being credited with kickstarting mass interest in NASCAR.
Entering the 1980s, Yarborough managed to win 18 races in the 1981 season, with his following performances leading to him winning his third Daytona 500 in 1983 and his fourth by 1984.
Yarborough won his final pole position in 1986 and entered his final season two years later in 1988, where he entered only 10 races, placing ninth in two of them.
Cale Yarborough’s Career Earnings
He may not be one of the richest racing drivers in the world anymore, but Cale Yarborough has certainly earned a fortune that most people could only dream of.
While we don’t have all the details about his full career earnings, we do have some details about what he’s won from his races.
- In 1957 at the NASCAR Grand National, Yarborough won $100, which was considerable at the time.
- Cale Yarborough won $2,725 in 1962 at the NASCAR Grand National, making it the first time he’d won over $1000 at a race.
- Yarborough won his first substantial amount at the NASCAR Grand National in 1965, bringing in $24,040.
- In 1970, Yarborough won $115,875 at the NASCAR Grand National.
- The largest amount Yarborough ever earned was in 1980 at the NASCAR Grand National, which amounted to $432,325.
It’s likely that had Cale Yarborough continued racing, he could have built a net worth to rival even Michael Schumacher, though we doubt he’s complaining about the fortune he has amassed.
Since 1961, Cale Yarborough has been married to Betty Jo Thigpen, and together they have three daughters, Julie, Kelley, and B.J.
Cale currently lives in Sardis, South Carolina, and has owned Cale Yarborough Honda in Florence, South Carolina, for over 25 years.
While fans were excited when he seemingly appeared on Twitter a few years ago, it was apparently too good to be true because the account turned out to be a well-made fake.
It seems that Cale Yarborough is enjoying a fairly private life now in his early 80s, and we can’t blame him for wanting to relax and not jump into the chaos that can be social media.
Awards & Achievements
Cale Yarborough has achieved a lot throughout his long career as a professional race car driver.
While all of his victories have been impressive, some stand out more than others.
Here are some of the best victories from Cale Yarborough’s career:
- Cale Yarborough won the Winston Cup three consecutive times, in 1976, 1977, and 1978.
- Yarborough won the Daytona 500 four times, in 1968, 1977, 1983, and 1984.
- Cale won the Southern 500 five times, in 1968, 1973, 1974, 1978, and 1982.
- In 1985, Yarborough won the Talladega 500.
- Yarborough became the IROC Champion in 1984.
While he may not be as well-known as Dale Earnhardt Jr., Cale Yarborough has won many races and earned a solid place in NASCAR history.
How Does Cale Yarborough Spend His Money?
Since his retirement, Cale Yarborough has been gradually moving away from the limelight, even more so as he’s gotten older.
Like his personal life, not much is known about how Cale spends his money, and he’s done a very good job at keeping his purchases and expenses under wraps.
Cale Yarborough may very well own some of the most expensive cars in the world, but thus far, he hasn’t told his fans, and we can only speculate.
Along with his victories on the race track, Yarborough has also earned many prestigious accolades.
While there have been many high points in Yarborough’s 31-year career, some moments stand out over all the others.
Here are some of the best highlights of Cale Yarborough’s career:
- In 1967, Cale Yarborough was named the Grand National Series Most Popular Driver.
- Cale Yarborough was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1993.
- The Motorsports Hall of Fame of America inducted Yarborough in 1994.
- In 1998, Yarborough was named one of NASCAR’s 50 Greatest Drivers.
- Cale Yarborough was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2012.
With a career that spanned three decades, it should be no surprise that Yarborough has experienced so much prestigious recognition for his skills behind the wheel.
Favorite Cale Yarborough Quotes
Throughout his long career on the race track, Cale Yarborough has been known to say some pretty iconic things.
While he has many amazing quotes to choose from, some have stood out to fans more than others.
Here are our favorite quotes from Cale Yarborough:
- “Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.” – Cale Yarborough
- “Driving a race car is like dancing with a chain saw.” – Cale Yarborough
- “If you don’t take a chance, you won’t have a chance.” – Cale Yarborough
- “During a race, it’s like I become a machine, and the machine becomes a man. I talk to my cars, baby them, shout at them, praise them.” – Cale Yarborough
- “If he’d just crowded me down to the side of the asphalt, I’d have been OK. But when he ran me completely off the racetrack, I lost it.” – Cale Yarborough
3 Amazing Lessons From Cale Yarborough
Having enjoyed such a successful career, there is a lot that can be learned from Cale Yarborough.
Now that you know all about Cale Yarborough’s net worth, let’s take a closer look at what he can teach us about reaching our own goals.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Cale Yarborough:
1. Don’t Waste Time On Haters
No matter who you are, there are always going to be people that don’t like you or something you’ve done.
If you waste your time with haters like this, you’ll only drag yourself down to their level instead of building yourself up.
The best thing you can do is show them up by staying on top of your game and rising above them.
2. Don’t Be Afraid To Take Chances
To become successful, you will have to take chances at one point or another.
While taking a chance on something is always a gamble, sometimes it can be the only way to find opportunities that you’d never have otherwise.
3. Pick Your Battles
When trying to become successful, there are going to be times when you have to weigh the pros and cons of taking on a task.
You should learn when it is better to stick to your guns or walk away to maintain your best interests.
Cale Yarborough is an exceptional former race car driver and one of the only two NASCAR drivers to ever win three consecutive championships.
While he retired in 1988, he has continued to grow his net worth as a politician and motorsports team owner.
Be sure to check back often as Cale Yarborough’s net worth continues to grow through his various other ventures.
As of March 2023, Cale Yarborough’s net worth is estimated to be $50 Million.