What is Felix Trinidad’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$30 Million|
|Born:||January 10, 1973|
|Height:||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Country of Origin:||Puerto Rico|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Boxer|
|Last Updated:||August 2, 2022|
Felix Trinidad is a retired professional boxer from Puerto Rico, known for winning multiple world championships over the course of his career.
He has retained his championship titles on many occasions and moved into wrestling following his retirement from professional boxing.
As of November 2022, Felix Trinidad’s net worth is estimated to be $30 Million.
Felix Trinidad Facts
- In addition to becoming the International Boxing Federation champion, Felix Trinidad was also the champion of the World Boxing Association and the World Boxing Council.
- He was forced to step back from fighting in 1990 after suffering a hand injury while fighting Jake Rodriguez.
- Trinidad has won an impressive five major world titles in total, four of which were in the welterweight division.
- He was voted Fighter of the Year by The Ring magazine and the Boxing Writers Association of America in 2000.
- In 2014, Trinidad was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame for his services to the sport.
Félix Juan Trinidad García was born January 10, 1973, in Fajardo, Puerto Rico, to a Peurto Rican family, moving to Cupey Alto as a child.
Here, he was raised in the same district as his future wife, Sharon Santiago, whom Felix attempted to impress as a young man with his red Ford Mustang.
Trinidad took up amateur boxing in his youth, winning a total of 42 fights against three losses before turning professional at the age of 17.
For much of his career as a professional boxer, Felix Trinidad competed in the welterweight division, taking the welterweight title early on.
He defeated Maurice Blocker to claim the title in 1993, which brought him to the attention of Don King, the legendary boxing promoter.
Several more victories followed quickly, with Trinidad’s fight against Oscar De La Hoya leading to him winning the final two rounds.
Soon, Trinidad had earned a reputation as one of the best Puerto Rican boxers of all time, joining the ranks of Miguel Cotto and Juan Laporte.
In 2000, Trinidad moved to the light middleweight division, fighting Fernando Vargas the same year and knocking him down to claim victory.
He continued to box through to 2009 when he retired from the sport and began participating as a guest referee for the World Wrestling Council.
Felix Trinidad’s Career Earnings
While Felix Trinidad’s career earnings fall short of the richest athletes in the world, he’s nevertheless secured a high income during his time as a professional boxer.
Over the course of his career, Trinidad earned an estimated $85 million in total prize money, much of which he earned between the mid-1990s and mid-2000s.
His retirement from boxing has seen a decline in his overall earning capacity, although he continues to earn through his wrestling career.
Felix Trinidad’s Net Worth Annually
At the height of his career, Felix Trinidad’s net worth was reportedly significantly higher than his current amount, with the star facing bankruptcy in 2017.
He spent three years in litigation against Banco Popular de Rico, disputing his purchase of Puerto Rican government bonds as fraud.
Along with his father, he lost an estimated $63 million through these investments, reducing his net worth to its current status.
During his early years, Felix Trinidad entered a relationship with Sharon Santiago, whose father objected to her becoming involved with an athlete.
The couple eventually married after he won her family’s trust, and they have four daughters together.
Trinidad maintains his official Instagram account, where his following of dedicated fans are kept in the loop about his latest wrestling activities.
Awards & Achievements
Felix Trinidad has fought some of the richest boxers in the world and has an impressive career record in three weight classes.
In these classes, he’s won several world championships, with many knockout victories to his name.
Here are some notable victories and championship wins from Felix Trinidad’s career:
- 1990: Felix Trinidad wins his first professional fight against Angel Romero, defeating his opponent in the second round.
- 1993: He defeats Maurice Blocker to win the IBF welterweight championship.
- 1999: His win against Oscar De La Hoya is his biggest victory to date, and one of the best punchers of all time.
- 2000: Trinidad wins the light middleweight division title after defeating David Reid.
- 2004: In a comeback fight, he defeats Ricardo Mayorga with a technical knockout.
These are just a few examples of his accomplishments, with the champion also successfully defending his titles on many occasions.
Since his retirement from professional boxing, he’s worked closely with professional wrestling, with more success likely to come from his new ventures.
How Does Felix Trinidad Spend His Money?
Little is known about how Felix Trinidad spends his money, particularly given his experiences with the Puerto Rican government bonds and the loss of a significant amount of net worth.
He expressed interest in purchasing the Changos de Naranjito in 2010, a professional volleyball team based in Puerto Rico.
A set of boxing gloves signed by Trinidad was auctioned at Sotheby’s in 2019, although the lot only sold for $90.
Trinidad’s successful winning streak as a professional boxer has earned him his place in the sport’s history as one of the best boxers of all time.
His career highlights have often seen him retain his titles, making a comeback on two separate occasions.
Here are some of the best highlights of Felix Trinidad’s career:
- 1989: Trinidad’s amateur boxing career culminates with him becoming champion in the International Boxing Federation.
- 1990: His career as a professional boxer begins when he is just 17 years old.
- 1994: Trinidad fights in Las Vegas for the first time, defending his title from Hector Camacho.
- 2000: He moves to the light middleweight division to challenge the World Boxing Association’s champion, David Reid.
- 2008: Trinidad makes a second comeback before his retirement the following year.
It’s an impressive list of career high points that marks Trinidad as a true champion and master of his craft.
His ongoing activities in wrestling and other business ventures should mean Trinidad has more opportunities for success in the future.
Favorite Felix Trinidad Quotes
Felix Trinidad’s impressive career as a world champion, with many other boxing victories to his name, makes him a valuable source of inspiration.
He’s shared his insights into the sport on many occasions, discussing what he sacrifices for the training and how he wants to be remembered.
Here are our favorite quotes from Felix Trinidad:
- “It was an easier life. It is a very relaxed life with my family. When I am boxing I have a lot more responsibility on my shoulders. I have to sacrifice for training.” – Felix Trinidad
- “Everywhere I went people were screaming for me to come back, and then you have my promoter, Don King, who has been persuing me to convince me to come back and box, and finally myself.” – Felix Trinidad
- “I want to be remembered as a great champion; that I always went into the ring and gave my best as a fighter that fought for all of my fans; as a person, that I did my best in everything that I do.” – Felix Trinidad
- “I have to work hard to prepare for every fight. I run early in the morning. Then I go to the gym in the afternoon and work on my boxing.” – Felix Trinidad
- “Right now, I just want to get a victory and celebrate that with all of the fans that will be in New York and then go home to celebrate with all of the fans in Puerto Rico.” – Felix Trinidad
3 Amazing Lessons From Felix Trinidad
Now that you know all about Felix Trinidad’s net worth, we’ll explore some of the ways his life and experiences can act as an inspiration.
He’s shown incredible dedication to his training regime and fans, inspiring many others to work hard and achieve success.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Felix Trinidad:
1. Be Wary Of How You Invest Your Money
Felix Trinidad’s massive drop in net worth and assets due to his investment in government bonds is a sound lesson to everyone about investing.
Make sure you spread investments across multiple domains instead of putting all of your proverbial eggs in one basket.
2. Don’t Give Up On Your Dreams
From an early age, Trinidad pursued a relationship with his future wife, with several rejections and disapproval from her father not deterring his hopes.
The dedication paid off, with Trinidad marrying his childhood sweetheart and having several children together.
3. Never Rule Out A Comeback
Felix Trinidad has had not just one amazing comeback as a boxer, but two, each time proving he still had what it takes to emerge victorious.
That concludes this article exploring the professional boxing career and net worth of Puerto Rican boxer Felix Trinidad.
His net worth might have fallen significantly since the peak of his career, but he’s still got skin in the game when it comes to professional sports.
With his ongoing work in wrestling, his net worth will likely change again, so be sure to refer back to this article for the updated version covering the latest details.
As of November 2022, Felix Trinidad’s net worth is estimated to be $30 Million.