What is Angus Young’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$160 Million|
|Born:||March 31, 1955|
|Height:||1.57 m (5 ft 2 in)|
|Country of Origin:||Australia|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Musician|
|Last Updated:||August 2, 2022|
Angus Young is an Australian guitarist and songwriter best known for his playing with the Australian hard rock band AC/DC.
Regarded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time, his albums released through AC/DC have sold hundreds of millions of copies worldwide, with songs featured in dozens of movies.
As of February 2023, Angus Young’s net worth is estimated to be $160 Million.
Angus Young Facts
- Angus Young was raised in a musical household, his brother Stephen playing piano and accordion, and other siblings playing guitar and saxophone.
- Before beginning his music career, Young worked various odd jobs including working at a butcher’s shop and even helping out at a soft porn magazine.
- Young is a keen fan of soccer, expressing his support for the Scottish team Rangers FC.
- In 2000, Gibson thanked Angus Young for his support of their guitar brand by naming a signature guitar after him.
- Along with his fellow band members, Angus Young was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003.
Born on March 31st, 1955 in Glasgow, Scotland, Angus McKinnon Young was raised by his housewife mother and father William, who served in the Royal Air Force during World War 2.
The youngest of eight children, Angus moved to Australia with his family where he attended Ashfield Boys High School.
After learning to play the banjo, he picked up an acoustic guitar followed by a Gibson SG, and he has stuck with this model throughout his career.
Angus Young’s career began in the early 1970s when he joined the Marcus Hook Roll Band, eventually forming AC/DC with his brothers Malcolm and George.
After considering costumes based around Spider-Man and Zorro, he settled for the iconic schoolboy outfit for which he is known to this day.
The band released their debut album, High Voltage, in 1974, following it up with TNT, which was certified platinum nine times in Australia.
Their 1979 album, Highway to Hell, saw the band breaking into the American charts, with the follow-up album Back In Black becoming one of the best-selling albums of all time, surpassed only by Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
More Professional Musicians:
- Lindsey Buckingham Net Worth
- John Tesh Net Worth
- Rob Zombie Net Worth
- Thom Yorke Net Worth
- Peter Criss Net Worth
- Rick Wright Net Worth
Angus Young’s Career Earnings
Angus Young’s impressive net worth has largely come through royalties from the sale of AC/DC albums, most notably from Back In Black.
In 1975, it’s estimated that Young earned $350,000 from sales of High Voltage, with an additional $3 million the following year once the album sold 3X platinum in the US.
His current annual income is estimated at around $15 million from combined royalties and other revenue sources.
Angus Young’s Net Worth Annually
As one of the richest rockstars in the world, Angus Young has enjoyed a continuing increase in his overall net worth.
He’s currently the richest member of the band AC/DC, with his brother Malcolm and Brian Johnson worth an estimated £100 million, compared to his $160 Million.
As their albums continue to sell in high numbers and give out royalties, it’s expected that Angus Young’s net worth will continue to grow over the coming years.
Angus Young began a relationship with Ellen Van Lochem in 1979, marrying six months later and establishing homes in Australia, the Netherlands, and the UK.
Known for his chain smoking and teetotaler lifestyle, Young would often be seen drinking a glass of coffee or chocolate milk when his fellow band members were drinking alcohol.
In 2019, Young donated nearly $20,000 to the Alzheimer’s Society of Ontario, in honor of his brother Malcolm, who had died from dementia two years before.
Awards & Achievements
Angus Young’s career is one of many high points, with the huge success of AC/DC earning him and his fellow band members dozens of accolades over the years.
Here are some highlights from Angus Young’s career:
- 1988: AC/DC are inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame for their contributions to music.
- 1995: The track Big Gun wins Most Played Australian Work Overseas at the APRA Awards.
- 2008: The album Black Ice picks up the award for Best Hard Rock Album at the Metal Storm Awards.
- 2009: Along with his band members, Young wins two UK Music Video Awards, The Innovation Award for Rocks the Office and the Best Music AD Award for Black Ice.
- 2010: AC/DC’s only Grammy Award is picked up for War Machine, which wins Best Hard Rock Performance.
How Does Angus Young Spend His Money?
Angus Young is known for his collection of instruments which includes some of the most expensive guitars in the world, as well as the signature guitar created for him by Gibson.
Along with his wife, he owns a three-story mansion in Aalten, the Netherlands, which includes multiple guest rooms and its own recording studio.
The couple also owns a luxury home in the Kangaroo Point area of Sydney, a suburb of New South Wales.
With a career beginning in the 1970s and including over a dozen hit albums, Angus Young has enjoyed many successes and high points.
Here are some of the best highlights of Angus Young’s career:
- 1975: Young and the band AC/DC record their first studio album, High Voltage, beginning their popularity as one of Australia’s leading hard rock bands.
- 1979: The album Highway to Hell is AC/DC’s biggest hit to date, opening them up to a much larger American fanbase.
- 1980: The band’s first album with singer Brian Johnson, Back In Black, is a huge success, selling over 50 million copies worldwide over the following years.
- 1990: After several underperforming albums, The Razor’s Edge puts the band back in the spotlight reaching 5x multi-platinum in the US.
- 2020: The latest album, Power Up, earns the band many accolades, including nominations at the ARIA Music Awards and the 64th Grammy Awards for Best Rock Album.
Favorite Angus Young Quotes
Angus Young has plenty of unique insights into the nature of the music industry and the creative process he goes through when composing his music.
Here are our favorite quotes from Angus Young:
- “I never bothered with cars. I was probably one of the few kids in school who didn’t run around with hot-rod magazines. As I would be at home fiddling with my guitar, they would be fiddling with a car engine.” – Angus Young
- “I can’t deny that Eric Clapton’s and Eddie Van Halen’s lead stuff has influenced a stack of people, but for me, it’s the rhythm thing that’s way more impressive and important to a band.” – Angus Young
- “We just stuck to what we did best. Maybe that’s why people plug into us and go ‘They never change.’ We’re reliable. A bit like old shoes.” – Angus Young
- “With AC/DC, we’ve always started with rock, and we’ve just kept it going. The critic’s view is always, ‘They just made an album and it’s the same as the last one.’ I’ll have fifteen of them, anytime.” – Angus Young
- “With guitar riffs, we always look for something that’s a little bit special. We’ve always found that it is harder to come up with something that’s nice and simple without getting something that’s hard but easy.” – Angus Young
3 Amazing Lessons From Angus Young
Now that you know all about Angus Young’s net worth, it’s time to dig into some of the valuable lessons we can learn from his experiences in the music industry.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Angus Young:
1. If All Else Fails, Stick To What You Do Best
Angus Young has often spoken about the criticism the band gets for sticking to a familiar sound, but believes you should do what you do best if it works for the audience.
2. Don’t Let Grief Overcome You
Throughout his career, Angus Young has had to deal with the loss of more than one fellow band member.
The death of his brother, Malcolm, as well as the original lead singer Bon Scott, taught him the importance of moving on when faced with the loss of a loved one.
3. Surround Yourself By Talented People
Growing up in a household of musically gifted people helped inspire Angus to become the accomplished guitarist he is today.
Surround yourself with talented people who help you to channel your energy into the creative process.
That concludes this guide to Angus Young’s net worth, and the hit singles and albums he released with AC/DC that helped make him a legend of rock.
With some of the biggest-selling releases in the history of music to his name, he’s become one of music’s true icons.
Since he continues to receive royalties from his albums, we’ll be updating this article in the future to make sure it reflects his current net worth.
As of February 2023, Angus Young’s net worth is estimated to be $160 Million.