What is Robert Rodriguez’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$60 Million|
|Born:||June 20, 1968|
|Height:||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||TV/Film Director|
|Last Updated:||March 8, 2023|
Robert Rodriguez is renowned for his originality and unique take on filmmaking and cinematography.
To benefit his films, Robert would direct, produce, write, and edit everything, no matter the budget, resulting in him receiving the nickname “the one-man film crew”.
Some of his most famous work as a director was “Spy Kids” and the “Mexico Trilogy”.
As of March 2023, Robert Rodriguez’s net worth is estimated to be $60 Million.
Robert Rodriguez Facts
- Robert wrote the script for the action film “Machete”, which was released in 2010.
- In 1992 he raised $7,000 and took part in medical testing so he could create his first feature film “El Mariachi”.
- He only officially graduated from the University of Texas in 2009.
- Robert’s son, Racer, can be seen in the credits of the movie “Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl”, which was released in 2005.
- His cousin Danny Trejo (actor) acted in the film Robert wrote called “Machete”, in 2010.
Robert Anthony Rodriguez was born June 20, 1968, in San Antonio, Texas.
His mother worked as a nurse and his father worked as a cookware salesman. Rodriguez, the third of ten children, felt out of place in a sea of sports-obsessed siblings.
Seeing his interest in film, his parents fostered his hobby, allowing him to use the family’s Super 8 video camera.
After seeing John Carpenter’s science-fiction blockbuster, Escape from New York, Rodriguez began to dream of becoming a filmmaker. By the time he turned 12, he was creating home movies and videotaping his father’s sales meetings.
He went to St. Anthony High School Seminary, a very tiny Catholic high school where he was commissioned to film football games. But it didn’t last long, as he preferred to capture his parents’ responses, close-ups of players, and pictures of the ball moving through the air.
His more artistic approach, rather than just recording the game, wasn’t what the school wanted, as he missed a lot of the action.
He accepted a scholarship to the University of Texas in Austin after graduating from high school.
During his time at UT Austin, he created a daily comic strip called “Los Hooligans” which he became well-known for.
The comic strip began to run in the university newspaper and went on to do so for another three years.
With his obvious talents, he was accepted into the film program offered at the university. He created his first short film called “Bedhead” in 1990, which won five short film contests.
With the prize money from his short films, Robert decided to use it to put towards his very first feature film, “El Mariachi”.
Unfortunately, the prize money was not enough for the full budget of the film, but this did not stop Robert. He started to participate in medical trials and eventually made $7,000 for the film.
The film was such a success that Columbia Pictures purchased the rights for distribution in 1992.
He was also offered a contract with the studio and signed on for the next two years. With the original “El Mariachi” being such a success, Robert created the El Mariachi series.
He released the second “El Mariachi” film, “Desperado” in 1995 which introduced Robert to a non-Spanish speaking side of the film industry.
Robert then created his first franchise after the release of the well-known movie “Spy Kids” in 2001 which went on to become a huge commercial success.
The following year, he came out with the second Spy Kids movie called “Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams”, which also became a Box Office hit.
He followed the movie’s sequels with a third and finally the fourth one, in 2011.
His most recent work was his direction of the film “100 Years” in 2015 and directing the sci-fi action movie “Escape from New York” in 2017. The movie starred Kurt Russell, Lee Van Cleef, and Adrienne Barbeau.
Robert Rodriguez’s Career Earnings
Robert is a frequent collaborator and friend of the world-famous Quentin Tarantino whose quirky films have a large and growing audience worldwide.
Robert’s son, Racer, came up with an idea for a fantasy adventure storyline which gave Robert the idea to release “Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl” in 2005.
Here’s an estimated overview of Robert Rodriguez’s annual income:
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2014 – $500,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2015 – $650,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2016 – $945,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2017 – $700,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2018 – $850,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2019 – $650,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2020- $900,000
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2020 – $1 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Salary In 2022 – $750,000
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl was a commercial success and a huge box office hit. Robert then came out with a horror film called “Planet Terror” in 2007, which received praise but didn’t really stand out.
He wrote the script for “Machete” which had the appearance of his cousin Danny Trejo and was released in 2010. Since it was a big hit at the box office, he decided to release a sequel called “Machete Kills” in 2013.
Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth Annually
The “Mexico Trilogy” came to an end in 2003 with the movie “Once Upon a Time in Mexico”.
The final movie was a great success and grossed over $98 million on a budget of only $29 million.
He co-directed a crime film called “Sin City”, which was an adaptation of a comic book of the same name. The movie starred Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, and Jessica Alba and was a huge success.
Here’s a breakdown of Robert Rodriguez’s annual net worth:
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2014 – $54.1 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2015 – $54.4 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2016 – $54.8 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2017 – $55 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2018 – $55.5 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2019 – $56 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2020 – $58.5 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2021 – $59 million
- Robert Rodriguez’s Net Worth In 2022 – $60 million
Unfortunately, he was refused credit in Sin City as a co-director by the Directors Guild of America, which resulted in Robert resigning from the organization.
Even though the film was highly successful and brought a major number of nominations and awards, Robert was not happy with the outcome.
In 1990, Robert married Elizabeth Avellan, whom he went on to have five children with.
Their children are Rebel, Rogue, Rhiannon, Rocket, and Racer, and have all at one tie or another become involved in his business.
Unfortunately, the couple decided to finalize their divorce after 16 years of marriage, in 2006.
There was a short period of romance between Robert and actress Rose McGowan, but after constantly breaking up and getting back together again, the two called it quits in 2009.
You can follow Robert on his official Instagram account and official Twitter account to see what he’s up to now.
Awards & Achievements
The second film of the “El Mariachi” trilogy, “Desperado,” was released in 1995 and the principal roles were given to Salma Hayek and Antonio Banderas.
Here are some of the finest moments from Robert Rodriguez’s career:
- Robert’s first feature film “El Mariachi” won an Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival in 1993.
- He received the Best Cinematography Award from the Online Film Critics Association in 2005.
- He co-directed a comic book adaptation called “Sin City” in 2005 but did not receive credit for the multi-award-winning film.
- In 1994 he was nominated for the Best Director Award at the Independent Spirit Awards.
- Robert also received the Best Editing Award from the Phoenix Film Critics Association in 2005.
- He was the winner of the Best First Feature Award at the Independent Spirit Awards in 1994.
El Mariachi would ultimately cost Columbia $200,000 in post-production to convert it into a format that looked more professional.
The movie generated nearly $2 million at the box office, yielding a tremendous return on the investment, and Rodriguez was honored for it at the Sundance Film Festival as well.
How Does Robert Rodriguez Spend His Money?
After three years of expensive remodeling, Robert sold a Spanish-styled home located in Beverly Hills for $13.75 million.
Robert is known for creating masterpieces no matter the budget, which has resulted in him dipping into his wallet from time to time to cover the budget.
Since battling to retrieve money for his first film, Robert has become more aware of how he spends money. He is more careful now with how much he invests in his projects and avoids going through the trouble he had at the beginning of his career.
Hayek and Antonio Banderas reprised their roles in “Once Upon a Time in Mexico,” which also starred Eva Mendes, Johnny Depp, and Mickey Rourke.
Despite having a $29 million budget, the movie made over $98 million in box office revenue and garnered positive reviews from critics.
Here are some of the best highlights of Robert Rodriguez’s career:
- Roberts’ son Racer gave him the idea to create a children’s favorite called “Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl” in 2005.
- He came out with his first feature film “El Mariachi” in1992, which became a big hit and resulted in the “El Mariachi” sequels, which included both “Desperado” in 1995 and “Once Upon a Time” in 2003.
- In 1996, Robert released his first collaborative work with Quentin Tarantino about vampires, called “From Dusk till Dawn”.
- His first franchise started when he released the internationally recognized film “Spy Kids” in 2001.
In addition to being added to the Library of Congress Film archive, El Mariachi is listed in Guinness World Records as the lowest-budget movie to ever earn $1 million at the box office.
Robert’s collaboration with Tarantino on “Dusk Till Dawn” brought out the best in both of them and produced a movie that set the tone for later vampire epics.
The movie has subsequently gained cult status and inspired a media franchise that includes sequels, a computer game, and other media adaptations.
Favorite Robert Rodriguez Quotes
Robert has always had a passion for film and he makes sure that he gets his films completed on time and on budget.
He’s even been known to dip into his own pocket to cover expenses if the movie budget doesn’t stretch far enough.
Here are our favorite quotes from Robert Rodriguez:
- “Don’t be told something is impossible. There’s always a way.” – Robert Rodriguez
- “Sometimes I feel like I’m in a dream world because it doesn’t always seem too logical how things work out.” – Robert Rodriguez
- “Creative people are notoriously the slowest to adopt new technology.” – Robert Rodriguez
- “Don’t give me any money, don’t give me any people, but give me freedom, and I’ll give you a movie that looks gigantic. ” – Robert Rodriguez
- “The challenge is what was making it exciting. You don’t want to do anything that’s too easy or that you know that you can pull off, otherwise it’s not worth doing.” – Robert Rodriguez
3 Amazing Lessons From Robert Rodriguez
Robert is concerned about humanity’s future and wonders which will happen first; the destruction of the world or our own destruction.
He feels the key question is whether we can endure both events, or which one will occur first.
Now that you know all about Robert Rodriguez’s net worth, here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Robert Rodriguez:
1. The Greater The Challenge, The Better The Outcome
Pushing yourself to the limits is how you discover your true creativity and will help drive you to create the best possible outcome.
Robert was never afraid to explore all the possibilities a film director could so that he could make the best film possible.
2. Don’t Let Others Use You
After Robert co-directed an incredibly successful movie, he left his association as he would not allow others to use him and not get credit for his work.
It is important that you stand up for yourself and get the recognition you deserve, because nobody else is goign to stand up for you.
3. Nothing Is Impossible
Robert went from making home videos to box office hits, which shows that no matter what, if you work hard, you can achieve the impossible.
The only limiting factor is your belief in yourself, so it is important that you work on your self-confidence first.
Robert has created films that most children will have nostalgic memories of and will be remembered as childhood favorites. He worked hard to create unique movies and deserves the success he’s created for himself.
Rodiguez never lets anything come between him and his dreams and, through that, has become an inspiration to many other filmmakers.
As of March 2023, Robert Rodriguez’s net worth is estimated to be $60 Million.