What is Paul Thomas Anderson’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$70 Million|
|Born:||June 26, 1970|
|Height:||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||TV/Film Director|
|Last Updated:||August 2, 2022|
Paul Thomas Anderson is an American film director who is best known by his initials PTA.
He started his career in 1988 and has since directed many hit movies, including Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch-Drunk Love.
Fortunately for fans of his films, Anderson has made no mention of retiring anytime soon, so we can expect to see much more from him in the future.
As of February 2023, Paul Thomas Anderson’s net worth is estimated to be $70 Million.
Paul Thomas Anderson Facts
- Paul Thomas Anderson directed his first short film in 1993, titled Cigarettes & Coffee.
- His film Boogie Nights, starring Mark Wahlberg, was his first breakthrough critical success.
- Anderson directed Phantom Thread in 2017, which was also Daniel Day-Lewis’s final role to date.
- He has also directed many music videos, including the short film Anima in 2019, based around Thom Yorke’s album of the same name.
- His most recent film, Licorice Pizza, was released in 2021 and earned him three Academy Award nominations.
Paul Thomas Anderson was born June 26, 1970, in Los Angeles, California, to Edwina and Ernie Anderson.
His father was an actor and the voice of the late-night horror movie host Ghoulardi.
Growing up, Paul was extremely close to his father, who encouraged him to pursue his dreams of being a writer.
As a child, he attended many different schools, including Buckley, John Thomas Dye School, Campbell Hall School, Cushing Academy, and Montclair Prep.
When he was a teenager, he started experimenting with a Bolex 16-mm camera, and he filmed his first production as a senior at Montclair Prep.
He later attended Santa Monica College before enrolling at Emerson College after two semesters.
Paul also spent two days at New York University before he started working as a production assistant.
In 1993 he produced and directed his first short film, Cigarettes & Coffee, which was shown at the Sundance Festival Shorts Program.
In the late 90s, Paul Thomas Anderson started to hit his stride and establish himself as a director.
In 1997 he directed his breakout hit Boogie Nights, which earned him three Academy Award nominations.
Following this success, Anderson directed Magnolia in 1999, another hit that earned Tom Cruise a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination.
Anderson continued to find success in the 2000s with Punch-Drunk Love in 2002 and There Will Be Blood in 2007, both of which were critically acclaimed.
His eighth feature film, Phantom Thread, was released in 2017, which also served as Daniel Day-Lewis’ last film role to date.
In 2021 he directed Licorice Pizza, which garnered him another three Oscar nominations.
During his career, he has also directed many music videos for artists, including Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, Radiohead, Michael Penn, and Joanna Newsom.
Paul Thomas Anderson’s Career Earnings
Despite being one of the richest directors in the world, information about Paul Thomas Anderson’s earnings has never been made public.
However, we do know a bit about what his movies have brought in at the box office.
- Boogie Nights brought in $43.1 million at the box office in 1997.
- In 2007, There Will Be Blood earned $76.1 at the box office, his highest-grossing film to date.
- His film Licorice Pizza brought in $31.4 million at the box office in 2021.
His movies may not have earned enough to make him as wealthy as Tyler Perry, but they have certainly made him one of the highest-earning directors in Hollywood.
Paul Thomas Anderson previously dated singer Fiona Apple from 1997 to 2000, but they later broke up with Fiona claiming his temper drove them apart.
Since 2001, Anderson has been in a relationship with comedian and actress Maya Rudolph, and together they have four children; Minnie Ida, Pearl Minnie, Lucille, and Jack.
Unfortunately, outside of his filmmaking career, Paul tends to keep his personal life under wraps, staying away from social media.
If any more information about his personal life becomes available — or if he appears on any social media accounts — we will be sure to keep you updated!
Awards & Achievements
Paul Thomas Anderson has won and been nominated for numerous awards during his career.
While all of his achievements have been significant, some accolades stand out more than others for their prestigious status.
Here are some highlights from Paul Thomas Anderson’s career:
- In 1998, Anderson was nominated for his first of many Academy award nominations, this time for Best Writing for Boogie Nights.
- For Punch-Drunk Love, Anderson won Best Director at the Cannes Film Festival in 2002.
- In 2020, Anderson was nominated for Best Music Film at the Grammy Awards for Anima.
- For Licorice Pizza, Anderson was nominated for Best Screenplay at the Golden Globe Awards in 2022.
- Anderson won Best Screenplay for Licorice Pizza in 2022 at the BAFTA Awards.
Although Paul Anderson hasn’t won as many accolades as his fellow director Quentin Tarantino, he has still earned 268 nominations in total and 97 awards.
As he continues making films, we can expect him to earn even more awards and nominations in the future.
How Does Paul Thomas Anderson Spend His Money?
In 2021, Paul and his wife Maya bought a home in Sherman Oaks, a suburb of Los Angeles, for $2.6 million.
Located in one of the most expensive cities in the US, Anderson’s home has three bedrooms and 2,800 sqft of space.
There is also a large back garden complete with a pergola, pristine lawns, and well-kept fruit trees.
It may not be one of the grandest homes in Los Angeles, but it certainly is luxurious and worthy of such a distinguished director.
Paul Thomas Anderson has reached many milestones during his career that have helped him stand out from other directors.
However, some of his career’s greatest moments stand out more than others for their impact on his fame and fortune.
Here are some of the best highlights of Paul Thomas Anderson’s career:
- Anderson directed the short film Cigarettes & Coffee in 1993, which premiered at the Sundance Festival Shorts Program.
- In 1995, he released his breakout film Boogie Nights, which earned him worldwide acclaim.
- He directed Punch-Drunk Love in 2002, starring Adam Sandler, which earned him the Best Director award at Cannes.
- In 2007, he directed There Will Be Blood, which earned him eight Academy Award nominations.
- Anderson directed Licorice Pizza in 2021, which earned him three Academy Award nominations.
Along with being able to work with some of the richest actors in the world, Anderson has enjoyed many memorable and important moments during his time behind the camera.
While these have been his most formative moments so far, as he continues his career, we expect to see him hit many more milestones.
Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson Quotes
Paul Thomas Anderson has completely dedicated his life to filmmaking, and he uses many of his personal experiences to impact his storytelling.
In past interviews, he has often spoken about how he approached making new films, and there is a lot that can be learned from his methods.
Here are our favorite quotes from Paul Thomas Anderson:
- “Screenwriting is like ironing. You move forward a little bit and go back and smooth things out.” – Paul Thomas Anderson
- “I’ll rebel against powers and principalities all the time. Always, I will.” – Paul Thomas Anderson
- “I had the standard movie geek childhood because for as long as I can remember, all I wanted to do was make movies.” – Paul Thomas Anderson
- “My writing has a lot to do with who I am, and what my life is like, and my relationships with people.” – Paul Thomas Anderson
- “Film school is a complete con because the information is there if you want it.” – Paul Thomas Anderson
3 Amazing Lessons From Paul Thomas Anderson
There are a lot of useful lessons we can learn from Paul Thomas Anderson and his remarkably successful career in filmmaking.
Now that you know all about Paul Thomas Anderson’s net worth, we can take a closer look at what he can teach us about reaching our own goals.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Paul Thomas Anderson:
1. Don’t Forget The Little Details
It is easy to get caught up in worrying about the big picture, and this can make you miss things that are right in front of you.
Don’t forget to spend time on the little details so that you won’t miss any important opportunities that may be vital to your success.
2. Keep Learning
With so much information available at our fingertips, there is no excuse to stop learning valuable things.
Whether you want to master new skills or learn about a specific niche, it is never a bad idea to use your time to discover unexplored things.
3. Stand Out From The Rest
Many people toe the line in fear of standing out too much, but to be successful, you need to get comfortable putting yourself out there.
Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd because it will ultimately help you make greater progress.
Paul Thomas Anderson has become well-known in Hollywood for his psychological dramas, which have received critical acclaim.
While he isn’t the wealthiest director in the industry, he is steadily building his fortune and may very well top the list in the future.
Make sure to check back often so that you don’t miss any updates impacting Anderson’s career and wealth.
As of February 2023, Paul Thomas Anderson’s net worth is estimated to be $70 Million.