What is Brian May’s net worth?
|Net Worth:||$210 Million|
|Born:||July 19, 1947|
|Height:||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Country of Origin:||United Kingdom|
|Source of Wealth:||Professional Musician|
|Last Updated:||March 8, 2023|
Brain May is an English musician, singer, songwriter, and guitarist best known for being the lead guitarist for the iconic stadium rock band Queen.
He has worked with some of the biggest rockstars of all time and is widely considered to be one of the greatest guitarists in the history of rock music.
As of March 2023, Brian May’s net worth is estimated to be $210 Million.
Brian May Facts
- While Freddie Mercury wrote many of Queen’s hits, May penned a few himself, including We Will Rock You, I Want It All, and Who Wants To Live Forever.
- May has occasionally worked writing music for movies, with the 2000 film Furia featuring a soundtrack by the iconic rocker.
- The first band May joined in the 1960s was named 1984, taken from George Orwell’s dystopian novel title.
- Brian May has an extensive collection of guitars, but his model of choice when performing live is the Red Special, which he designed and built with his father.
- He’s a big fan of stereoscopic photography, an obscure technique first developed in the mid-19th century.
Brian Harold May was born on July 19th, 1947, in Hampton, London, to his English father, Harold, and Scottish mother Ruth.
After attending Hampton Grammar School on a scholarship, he later went to Imperial College, where he studied for an astronomy Ph.D.
In 1968 he formed the band The Smile along with Tim Staffell and Roger Taylor, with the band breaking up after two years.
Following the breakup of The Smile, Brian May teamed up with Freddie Mercury and John Deacon to form the iconic rock band Queen.
As lead guitarist and vocalist, May helped the band achieve huge success, charting for the first time with their second album, Queen II, then hitting the mainstream following the release of the single Bohemian Rhapsody.
Singles such as We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions helped Queen become the biggest stadium band of their time, selling out international tours along with millions of copies of their records.
Their Live Aid concert in 1985 is widely considered to be one of the greatest performances in rock history.
May has performed on stage with many celebrated musicians, including Guns N’ Roses guitarist Duff McKagan and Ozzy Osbourne, vocalist for Black Sabbath.
He’s also worked with some of the richest singers in the world, collaborating with Katy Perry and Lady Gaga on their music.
More Professional Musicians:
- Axl Rose Net Worth
- Alan Jackson Net Worth
- Bruce Springsteen Net Worth
- Keith Richards Net Worth
- Matthew Koma Net Worth
Brian May’s Career Earnings
Since his early success with the band Queen, May’s earnings will have remained consistently high thanks to the ongoing royalties from their many albums.
Additional music projects and work as a producer for other artists, which he announced through the official Brian May website, will increase May’s annual earnings.
Brian May’s Net Worth Annually
As one of the richest rockstars in the world, Brian May’s net worth has continued to climb over the course of his career.
Successes with the band Queen saw May earning huge sums of money at their peak, with additional growth from his many side projects.
Consistent revenue from royalties, new projects and other business ventures means this impressive net worth will likely increase over the coming years.
Brian May married his first wife, Christine Mullen, in 1976, with the couple having three children together, James, Louisa, and Emily Ruth.
After separating from Mullen in 1988, May began a relationship with actress Anita Dobson, who he married in November of 2000.
May has spoken about his struggle with depression over the years, with Freddie Mercury’s death and that of his father, being the root cause of his mental health issues.
Awards & Achievements
Brian May has enjoyed a hugely successful career in the music industry and has helped reshape rock music’s nature.
Here are some highlights from Brian May’s career:
- 1977: The Queen single Bohemian Rhapsody wins British Single of the Year at the Brit Awards.
- 2001: Brian May is inducted by Dave Grohl into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with the other band members from Queen.
- 2005: Brian May is made a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
- 2011: He receives the Laurence Olivier Magic Radio Audience Award.
- 2018: Along with Queen’s band members, May received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammy Awards.
How Does Brian May Spend His Money?
As you might expect, Brian May has an extensive collection of rare and vintage guitars given his status as one of the best guitarists of all time.
As well as owning some of the most expensive guitars in the world, he owns a large, secluded property in Windlesham, England, with acres of woodland surrounding the residence.
May is also active with many charities, with a particular fondness for contributing his time and money towards causes that improve animal welfare.
With his prolific and eventful career working with some of the most respected artists in the world, May’s professional life is one of many notable high points.
Here are some of the best highlights of Brian May’s career:
- 1970: Brain May joins the band Queen, beginning a hugely successful run of hit songs and sell-out tours.
- 1983: May ventures into side projects and other collaborations, hitting the studio with Eddie Van Halen and recording the album Star Fleet Project.
- 1985: Queen reach the peak of their live appearances with their Live Aid concert, gaining an estimated 1.9 billion viewers, the highest-ever audience.
- 1992: May established his own band, The Brian May Band, marking his first venture with a band following the death of Freddie Mercury.
- 2004: Queen reunites with a new lead vocalist, embarking on a world tour and being joined on stage by the Foo Fighters.
Favorite Brian May Quotes
Brian May has been interviewed many times over the course of his career, and has been outspoken on his political views and insightful about music.
Here are our favorite quotes from Brian May:
- “Queen songs are not about the life of a rock star – they tend to be about the lives of normal people, which is why I think the songs connect so much. We’re very lucky that they seemingly connect with every generation.” – Brian May
- “I think music is about our internal life. It’s part of the way people touch each other. That’s very precious to me. And astronomy is, in a sense, the very opposite thing. Instead of looking inwards, you are looking out, to things beyond our grasp.” – Brian May
- “There is no way that you can ever really repeat something. I have this great belief that the magic of the moment can never be recaptured.” – Brian May
- “I despise the Lottery. There’s less chance of you becoming a millionaire than there is of getting hit on the head by a passing asteroid.” – Brian May
- “It’s wonderful for me to see what ‘We Will Rock You’ has done. ‘We Will Rock You’ and ‘We Are the Champions’ have kind of transcended the normal framework of where music is listened to and appreciated – they’ve become part of public life, which I feel wonderful about.” – Brian May
3 Amazing Lessons From Brian May
Now that you know all about Brian May’s net worth, we’ll take a look at the valuable lessons we can learn from his life experiences and decades-long career as a musician.
Here are some of the best success lessons to learn from Brian May:
1. Don’t Be Afraid To Reinvent Yourself
Freddie Mercury’s death and the band Queen’s breakup could easily have led to Brian May’s early retirement from music.
But despite already having an impressive net worth, May continued to perform and collaborate with musicians up to the present day.
2. Find The Time To Care About The World Around You
Brain May’s commitment to animal welfare, and the consistent work with charities he has engaged with over the years, shows the importance of putting something back in the world.
3. Study Hard To Become Great At Something Important
Outside of his music career, May has maintained a consistent interest in science, beginning with his early years at university.
So there you have it, the musical career and hit records that have helped former Queen guitarist Brian May earn his outstanding net worth.
May’s prolific career outside of Queen has seen him producing music for the leading pop singers of today, as well as working on side projects for a niche audience.
Since May’s career remains ongoing, we expect his net worth to increase and will be updating this article to include any new information.
As of March 2023, Brian May’s net worth is estimated to be $210 Million.